Thread: Tri pod

Tri pod

Any one use their binoculars with tri pod?
    Last edited by fudge; 01-06-2017 at 02:26 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tri pod

Not yet, but I think it's something I'm going to begin doing this season.

I do, you will be amazed how much more you find. Other than a quick look I always have mine on a tripod now.

I posted up some pics in this thread.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...o-for-glassing

I love it. The sitting with elbows on the knees was fine, but I found tough to do for any more than 5 minutes at a time. Then I'd get antsy and want to move around. Once I was up I'd get the "what's over here" thing going on. Never really picking apart the area I started on.

With a tripod you can get way more comfortable

Don't have to hold anything and get fatigue in your arms or stiff neck back from hunching over the knees

Never have to take them off the area you are looking at if you want to look away, get up to do something, have your buddy take a look. They stay locked on the spot you're glassing

Way clearer, amazing how much we "shake" even when we think we don't

Much easier to systematically pick hillsides apart. Binos can basically be on train tracks. Up and down, side to side in a very disciplined way

You are obviously way quieter as you're not humping around making human sounds doing human things. In my head I look at it as letting them do the work and expose themselves

Forced me to spend more time working an area, as your moderately committed once you set up. Not that it is a lot of effort to break down and pack it up. Also made me get the hang of finding the better or best glassing options.

Being fairly new to all this, I feel fortunate it was something I was encouraged to do early on. It was a learning curve, though.

I have seen a lot of animals this way. Far more than I'd have otherwise. Bump into guys and they say they saw X number of deer and I've seen 3-10 times as many.

Of course getting to them and having them over for dinner is much trickier.

I found it took me awhile to realize what is a reasonable distance to glass out to if I plan to make a move immediately. Glassing deer 2km away with a 600 feet elevation gain is a longer term play. On my 5 day trip had a few like that. Just put them in the back pocket knowing that is an option for another day if closer areas didn't turn anything up.

First few times I'd see them in the distance, I was like "Holy hell, pack everything up and lets go!!!". Only to get nowhere near I was even glassing cause I didn't even take the time to plot out a route, landmarks, take a bearing etc. I probably looked like Braveheart charging across the landscape. Like that was going to work.

That pic of the binos/tripod in front of my tent, I was glassing four fantastic areas right out the front door. ranging from about 500 yards away to around 2km away. Pretty nice way to hit up the golden hour in the morning and well into the day. Only the need to get the legs moving caused me to stop. I could have never left camp and been very effectively hunting. Evening I moved far closer to what I thought would be the better choice for the evening.

But I get squirelly...but what is over on the other side? What if...just maybe...you never know...

And of course on that trip I got my buck while on the move, not sitting and glassing. Cause Murphy is an a-hole and his law should be repealed.

Keep in mind, others with many more years under their belt. So take it for what is worth based on my experiences.

It's a night and day difference.
    I have a Vortex tripod and Vortex Bino's with the uni-dapter quick disconnect.
    Super fast to deploy as well as pack up. I also made a rifle rest out of HDPE sheet stock to fit into the uni-dapter as well which I just whipped up at work to take on my Elk hunt tomorrow. I can go from Bino/Tripod to a stable rifle rest in under 5 seconds

But seriously, you'd be surprised how much more activity you see when your binoculars are as still as a painting. You see can see squirrels climbing tree's at like 4-500 yards no problem. If i'm glassing fields and cuts I don't go anywhere without the tripod.