Thread: First Spring Vancouver Island Black Bear hunt Questions!

First Spring Vancouver Island Black Bear hunt Questions!

Hello HBC,
    I have been lurking on this forum for a couple years and my father and I have finally made the jump into the hunting world. We are avid fisherman, and are so excited to start hunting in our beautiful province!

We went on a 3 day deer hunt last fall, no success unfortunately. However with Spring coming around quickly, I have taken it upon myself to plan us a Black Bear hunt. We fish lots out of Tahsis and head through gold river and after researching lots I actually believe this is a perfect area for us to bear hunt. My first question is when I am looking at areas on google earth, should we be looking for the newest clear cuts to hunt or the opposite and looking for more developed areas? What are characteristics of a good area that would have lots of bears? When hunting the bears, is it better to leave the truck and hike or is driving for bears not a big deal?

Thanks so much for any tips and answers, feel free to pm me and have a nice day!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First Spring Vancouver Island Black Bear hunt Questions!

Anywhere in the north end of the island will be prime. Holberg, Winter Harbour and anywhere around Quatsino Sound will be productive, you'll be amazed at the abundance,as well as the size of the bears on hand.
    Good Luck on your hunt, chances are you'll bag a nice sized bear.

When you google remember that the age it looks like in the pic can be way off. That is hard to get the hang of sometimes. So look for new stuff, but mostly look for big south facing bowls and side hills. You might find a big watershed that has a lot of south exposure. South face gets more sun so it greens up faster. As well look for big flat valley bottoms. If it hasn't warmed up enough at elavation a good flat river bottom can be good as well.

Once there bears are way way more active in the evening than the early am. So much so we sleep in and have breakfast then go out. Look for sign, keep driving around until you find sign. Like lotS of crap, then go back there in the evening and hike the road.

The biggest hurdle with bears is 2 things. First make sure it is alone, in the spring cubs are tiny so do your due diligence and make sure it is solo... better to pass a good bear than shoot a sow with a cub. Second, and a bit more fowel... most every bear has worms in the meat, they are not bad for you and effectively are extra protien. I have heard of people in aware of this and gashing the meat. Educate yourself on this and cook to 175.

Spring bear ear is one of my favorite hunts. Gold river tahsis are great ideas too

Talking Re: First Spring Vancouver Island Black Bear hunt Questions!

i agree with everything 835 said, even sleeping in ... bears are high and low early season. I agree drive and look for sign. Drive, spot with glass, and stalk ... look across vallys.

Remeber .. big ears = small bear .... you want tiny ears low down the side of his head. Take your time, find yourself a good mature boar ... do yourself a favor, shoot one uphill
    JOIN US AT CRSPORTFISHING.CA

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    i agree with everything 835 said, even sleeping in ... bears are high and low early season. I agree drive and look for sign. Drive, spot with glass, and stalk ... look across vallys.

Remeber .. big ears = small bear .... you want tiny ears low down the side of his head. Take your time, find yourself a good mature boar ... do yourself a favor, shoot one uphill
    the last parts the best advise , high side for sure

When your lookin at the cuts on google earth make sure you check imagry date down in the corner, the picture may look like a new area but it could be taken 10 years ago,i learned that the hard way more than once, as far as slash age on north islandi see most animals in 4+ year old slash when slash hunting, tons of bears up here on north end

Thanks so much for all your replies, it has been very helpful. Does anyone have any experience in the Gold River area? I look forward to hopefully seeing you guys out there soon and good luck this spring! If anyone has anymore information please let me know I am trying to learn as much as I can before I head out.
    Last edited by LachlanStevs; 01-04-2017 at 11:01 PM.

If your hunting anywhere near salt water or salmon streams there is a high likely hood of having fishy tasting meat. If your goal is to enjoy the bear at meal time find places that are far away from the seafood they love to eat.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom