Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Late Season Elk Hunting Tips

Re: Late Season Elk Hunting Tips

It was -20 to 25 during my hunts but the colder the better!

best of luck and let us know how it goes.
    KCCO

Some snow has fallen and it is getting colder, but the wind is back, so make sure you are dressed for it!!

It is supposed to get into the high -30 to low -40's with the few days, so hunting will be FUN!!!!

A couple things to consider;

- dress for the cold, but think about dressing out the animal with out gloves etc. So be prepared for that
    - Access - depending on what the farmer will allow, you might have to get the animal out physically. If you have access to a snowmobile and the farmer will allow you to cross fields with one, bring one. If not, find a Pelican sled to skid the animal out. With the snow that has fallen and the wind, there will be drifts of snow everywhere. Maybe the farmer will use his tractor to help you out.
    - If you have access to a ground blind, it can help with sitting and waiting until they come out.
    - if you surprise them and they bugger off, don't chase them. Remember, they have been hunted since Sept 01 and are damn spooky. You don't want them to leave and not come back.

Lots of good advise here, all you need is a little luck and some straight shooting and you should have some freezer filler!!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    Some snow has fallen and it is getting colder, but the wind is back, so make sure you are dressed for it!!

It is supposed to get into the high -30 to low -40's with the few days, so hunting will be FUN!!!!

A couple things to consider;

- dress for the cold, but think about dressing out the animal with out gloves etc. So be prepared for that
    - Access - depending on what the farmer will allow, you might have to get the animal out physically. If you have access to a snowmobile and the farmer will allow you to cross fields with one, bring one. If not, find a Pelican sled to skid the animal out. With the snow that has fallen and the wind, there will be drifts of snow everywhere. Maybe the farmer will use his tractor to help you out.
    - If you have access to a ground blind, it can help with sitting and waiting until they come out.
    - if you surprise them and they bugger off, don't chase them. Remember, they have been hunted since Sept 01 and are damn spooky. You don't want them to leave and not come back.

Lots of good advise here, all you need is a little luck and some straight shooting and you should have some freezer filler!!

Cheers

SS
    Great advice thank you! and I will post pics after the harvest you can get your ass

When you head up PM me, I'm in Kelowna right now and back to Fsj in a few days, I don't have private land but me and my buddies have been successful every year for the past five on crown land, this year no one got a tag unbelievable out of 2500 tags handed out!!! I'm off work for 6 weeks recovery from surgery so I mite be able to put you into an area if you want to try it for a day!! Good luck bud!
    -Backwoods

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
    When you head up PM me, I'm in Kelowna right now and back to Fsj in a few days, I don't have private land but me and my buddies have been successful every year for the past five on crown land, this year no one got a tag unbelievable out of 2500 tags handed out!!! I'm off work for 6 weeks recovery from surgery so I mite be able to put you into an area if you want to try it for a day!! Good luck bud!
    -Backwoods
    PM sent! Thanks

Day 1:

-33C and snow is barely dropping at 7:45AM ( man it get's light out late up here! ) We pull onto the private property and park where we think we aren't going to get in the way of any ranch equipment. It's pitch black and we start our treck into the abyss as we have never been here before, but I've seen the map and have a good idea of where the Elk are at. We finally get to the area where elk are supposedly most active. 2 KM walk in, in snow about 16" deep. It's daylight by the time we get to the area, just barely ( damnit didn't realize it would take this long to walk 2 KM but snow was working against us ) I find a spot to get low and set up the Bino/Tripod combo. Get glassing for a while and nothing.. Finally we get a cow moose screaming at us about 200 yards away, had a little calf with it - good to see game. Turn around and bam , wolf checking us out a little ways off, would have blasted him but didn't want to ruin the morning silence. Aaaand sure enough as my brother is digging in his backpack. ELK. Cow elk staring at us, shit.. 5 more behind her slowly creep up. One cow is BIG.. but I promised myself to hold off for at least a day as I really want a bull. We watch them as they watch us for a bit.. then we pack up and leave the area trying not to spook them. See you tomorrow big lady, and it wont be on such good terms if I see you. Rest of the day was pretty slow.

We will see what tomorrow has in store.

Dump that wolf you c him again....save multiple elk

Sounds promising! Also sounds like it might be a problem for my crippled dad to get to where the elk are.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

u watched a wolf?? and was she a fat cow- like twins?
    I hope you find a nice bull and harvest a few wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by ianwuzhere View Post
    u watched a wolf?? and was she a fat cow- like twins?
    I hope you find a nice bull and harvest a few wolves...
    I read Big, different than fat, no way of telling if they're carrying calves this early till you're gutting them! It's a legal season, if you disagree call the wildlife branch! Good luck Wolfkrieg, but don't just rely on dawn and dusk, with lows like that they're feeding all day or bedding on the sunny slopes. K