Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitt River Lodge for fly fishing weekend?

Pitt River Lodge for fly fishing weekend?

Taking my pops on a weekend fishing trip and have heard good things about PRL. Tips on best time of year to go? We're both pretty new when it comes to river fly fishing....he's lake fished his whole life up in R8 and I'm fairly new to fly fishing generally, but loved it when I went out on the Skagit etc.

I hear cuts and bulls and good through Spring/early summer (probably when we'd like to go).

Any thoughts are welcome as it will be a mostly new experience for us.

Cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pitt River Lodge for fly fishing weekend?

Your best bet would be to call the owner there and ask him about best times, you probably want to hit the sea run bulls in the spring and it can be tricky timing it to hit the right water levels.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

Coho fishing can be stellar in the fall but it definitely cuts into the best time for hunting, as well. It's about the only system in the lower mainland that you'll catch coho (all wild) on the swing. Usually coho will only smack flies in frog water.

Like Knothead mentioned above, timing the water levels can be tricky. I've been there for Fall Coho, we had insane fishing for 4 hours before a system came in and blew the river out which can happen very fast...scary fast. We also did the bulls in the spring but the conditions went the other way and it was bone low and everything was real spooky. If the conditions are good, it can be out of this world.

Thanks for the info guys...sounds like fishing...never a guarantee, but when it's good it'll be great.

The owners are great. Call and chat and they will recommend a good time.

I think the only thing I'd avoid is freshet. That river holds a lot of fish and there are lots of migrations too.

No retention for any species, but that is the only downside.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    Thanks for the info guys...sounds like fishing...never a guarantee, but when it's good it'll be great.
    We fish up there all the time and would not fish it any sooner than June 15th if its your one and only trip up there.
    Great salmon fishing up there starting late July.

Call Danny and he'll set you up with a good trip. I've fished it a few times on my own and it can be a blast. I've run my boat right to the hot springs at the second canyon which is an incredible run (especially in low water). One of the most scenic places in the valley.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    Taking my pops on a weekend fishing trip and have heard good things about PRL. Tips on best time of year to go? We're both pretty new when it comes to river fly fishing....he's lake fished his whole life up in R8 and I'm fairly new to fly fishing generally, but loved it when I went out on the Skagit etc.

I hear cuts and bulls and good through Spring/early summer (probably when we'd like to go).

Any thoughts are welcome as it will be a mostly new experience for us.

Cheers
    Sounds like a fun trip with your Dad, if he hunts why not try and have your fishing trip coinicide with Spring bear? K

Owners are Anti Hunters, enough said, wont support a sell out that goes against our tradition
    Last edited by BigfishCanada; 01-09-2017 at 12:41 PM.
    Kamloops cabins for rent!
    www.bclakefronts.com

Check out some amazing pictures on my Facebook of trophy fish and game:
    www.facebook.com/bclakefronts
    What about YOUTUBE, Check my video on how to make a Euro mount:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadianCade