Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated Thoughts on Crossbows vs Vertical Bows?

Updated Thoughts on Crossbows vs Vertical Bows?

Just got into a crossbow this season. The reasoning being no more than wanting more area to hunt and I think the things are awesome. Reading around the Web it's easy to fall into some of the crossbow vs comound bow articles...all of which seem to be from some years ago. What are some of the current outlooks like here on the forum? Are there still alot of compound guys looking down on the crossbow dudes? Are the traditional recurve boys looking at everyone like how a fly fisherman usually looks at a guy chucking a float rig down the river? Seems like the biggest issue was traditional archery and compound bow guys were butthurt about crossbows being allowed into the general archery season...thoughts?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Updated Thoughts on Crossbows vs Vertical Bows?

As long as your enjoying yourself, and your kit is legal for the hunt, its no ones business. Each system can wound and injure a deer, or kill it fast, its up to you to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by center color View Post
    As long as your enjoying yourself, and your kit is legal for the hunt, its no ones business. Each system can wound and injure a deer, or kill it fast, its up to you to practice.
    Well said sir

Aholes in every group so yes you will find archers who are anti Xbow

I have hunted with Xbow, compound, and recurve and they all have advantages and disadvantages. I have nothing against any of them my self. In the end if you use any of the weapons listed ethically and stick within personal limits that is all that matters in my opinion.

Yes xbows are the easiest to become accurate with but in my opinion a compound does not take much effort either with a proper teacher. Trad gear is no doubt the most difficult to learn in my opinion

They are no doubt all different and in the end the only thing they all have in common is short range weapon that shoots a fletched projectile.

I think one of the main issues is those who buy an Xbow because it is the easiest but do not take the time to use it ethically. I have also seen this with bows in general not just xbows. Every year you get that guy buying any of the above weapons on the first day of archery season planing on going out hunting the next morning. Xbows get a bad rap for this because they are sold as the easiest to use so the kind of guy who just wants to rush out and hunt often goes this route.

I got no issue with Xbows in an ethical hunters hands my only issue is with idiots and weapon is not the issue here

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Aholes in every group so yes you will find archers who are anti Xbow

I have hunted with Xbow, compound, and recurve and they all have advantages and disadvantages. I have nothing against any of them my self. In the end if you use any of the weapons listed ethically and stick within personal limits that is all that matters in my opinion.

Yes xbows are the easiest to become accurate with but in my opinion a compound does not take much effort either with a proper teacher. Trad gear is no doubt the most difficult to learn in my opinion

They are no doubt all different and in the end the only thing they all have in common is short range weapon that shoots a fletched projectile.

I think one of the main issues is those who buy an Xbow because it is the easiest but do not take the time to use it ethically. I have also seen this with bows in general not just xbows. Every year you get that guy buying any of the above weapons on the first day of archery season planing on going out hunting the next morning. Xbows get a bad rap for this because they are sold as the easiest to use so the kind of guy who just wants to rush out and hunt often goes this route.

I got no issue with Xbows in an ethical hunters hands my only issue is with idiots and weapon is not the issue here
    Awesome. Thanks for the input

that will never go away. ignore it and do what YOU want if its legal. dont but into the drama who`s better or whats ethical or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    that will never go away. ignore it and do what YOU want if its legal. dont but into the drama who`s better or whats ethical or not.
    Excellent advice and I agree with you. Still very interested in the current oponions and thoughts on the subject.

Oh Boy.. Here it goes again

IBTL!!!
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    Oh Boy.. Here it goes again

IBTL!!!
    Got your popcorn ready?

Dont worry you will find rifle hunters who hate anyone who uses any of the weapons mentioned as well lol. One of the main reasons you don't see more archery opurtunity is those that fight against it thinking these season are only for elitist trying to keep others out lol.

Best part is most who are against any style of weapon for hunting often lack first hand experience hunting with them.

My self I hunt big game with a large variety compared to most. I have hunted with rifle, muzzleloader, shotgun, compound, recurve, and Xbow and still do other than Xbow. Actually tempted to by another Xbow as there is no such thing as too many weapons lol

Too many hunters are closed minded to one weapon. Guys need to get out and live a little experiencing different forms of hunting