Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compound

Compound

Thinking about selling a rifle from my collection to get a compound bow to use for hunting season, practicing all year and getting a good handle on it. I have a crossbow I've taken for bow season before but was looking for good recommendations on compound bows, less about brands but accessories and definite benefits of a quality setup(draw weight, sights etc.)Any pointers appreciated!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Compound

I run single pin sight on all my hunters, if you can get one with a light that brightens your pin then do it, it really helps. Solo cam makes for a smooth draw and nice back wall, but not a must, 60# to 65 # works for me, I like 125g montecs, I also like short A to A , but longer is more forgiving. I use a back tension type release, but a good caliper type release with an adjustable trigger is a great choice too. All my rests are drop away and once set you can forget.
    Whatever you go with, get a good target block and practice as much as possible, broadheads can be easily zeroed using a bale of peatmoss. Everyone will tell you to go to a good bow shop and try lots of bows and find the right one that fits you, and they are right, take your time. Good luck CC.

Awesome thanks a ton I appreciate the info, that was what I was looking for.

You will probably find that nowadays with the new cam designs and past parallel limbs that Solo cam bows are not the smoothest at all and most definitely dont have the best back wall. Even Mathews the leader in Solo cam technology is making more and more bows with the top and bottom cams mirror images of themselves. Solo cam bows wall off a single string or stop as a binary cam or hybrid will wall off two strings or better yet two limbs.

Single pin sights give you a great sight picture( no clutter),WB rest is pretty well idiot proof,and my solo cam bow is so easy to tune(no press needed) ,draw cycle is very smooth( no hump and dump),back wall is rock solid. All I can suggest is don't fall for the this bow is better fan boy BS.

Invest in good arrows too, the better the arrow the less deviation in weight between shafts resulting in consistent tight groups, fewer fliers. Good luck!

Hoyt and Matthews are top of the heap, but I did not have the money for those so I went with Bear (Fred Bear). It has been excellent for 9 years and It shoots very tight groups still. Just killed a whitetail buck with it a few weeks ago. I use a 5-pin sight, and I personally love it. Good arrows are a must, and will run you about $100 for a dozen. For broad heads I would buy Montec G5 they are a ultra reliable fixed blade. I stay away from expandables as it's just one more variable that I do not need. Make sure if you buy 100 grain broad heads to also buy 100 grain field tips for practicing. You will also need a release.
    It is so much fun and once you get into it you'll be hooked. You can't even compare shooting a crossbow. Once again, keep in mind that technology has come a long way and there are a lot of great bows out there these days. Check out Bear, PSE, APA, Hoyt, and Matthews. There are many more that would do the job. I would go in to an archery shop who knows their stuff and have them measure you for draw length. Then you can shop a little better for yourself. You can adjust the poundage on your own but I would start about 55 lbs and you can raise it from there if need be. You want a bow that is capable to about 70 lbs, but you do not need to max it out as you will learn. Good luck
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308

I have a bowtech carbon knight, its my first bow that I got a couple years ago, love it... drop away rest with a 4 pin sight... iam looking to upgrade my sight to a single pin.

Ok lots to take in, now as far as tuning, how often does that need to be done and what does that entail?

Damn, tuning is the sum of all your kit and your relationship to it. IMHO.

Its great if you can establish a base line for your bow, chrony a specific weight of arrow, and record the speed at your bows top poundage.

For me the biggest single factor to shooting consistent tight groups is triggering my release. Ive gone thru a few and along the way developed a godamn flinch, or target panic, which I cured using a back tension type with a clicker. You have to be mindful of; your grip on the riser, draw, elbow height, anchor point, follow thru, and on and on, its a great journey and challenge but there is a zen to it all with enough practice. Recurve or compound.