Thread: Blood trailing

Blood trailing

Soon to be owner of a 8 week old pure bread chocolate lab. I'm getting this dog souly for blood trailing. Mainly deer but bear too. I've watched a couple training videos but wanted to know if any HBC members have trained a dog for blood trailing?
    What worked for you? How did you start the training and how old should a pup to train for this?

Thanks everyone
    perseverance pays off

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Blood trailing

Hmm 2 past labs learned it fast..great..usually wait till after 6 months. .too many other skills, obedience need learning..get them used to using their nose ant trusting that learned skill..started having them track Susan who hid in the dark in the woods..dark...no distractions..Susan friendly familiar scent..caught on to tracking blood and deer..moose..
    Steven

PM hotload. He's had great success.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Srupp, did you use a "drag line" using blood and a hide for your labs?

goatdancer thanks for the lead, I'll shoot him a PM
    perseverance pays off

Eventually yes..however don't know if it was totally needed..maybe it helped keep them on primary scent not distracted. .longest trail was 40 minutes for a poorly placed shot by a friend on a moose.Brandy found him no problems..on a muley buck..Morgan was on the dead deer within 2 minutes.done.
    Watching Chilcotin Hillbillies hounds track cougars, lynx, bears.and watching their progress on the Garmin handheld is amazing.
    Srupp