Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaving gear in bush for latter hunt?

Re: Leaving gear in bush for latter hunt?

I left a couple of 1 lb propane canisters and a tarp in the alpine one year. Stashed them in a bit of a hole and then put a large pile of rocks on top to deter the critters. We returned the next year. Upon arriving at the stash site it looked as if a bomb had gone off. The rock pile was disassembled, the tarp was ripped to very small pieces and we found one propane canister with tooth puncture marks in it. This was our only heat source, no trees or wood without descending way down the mountain to start a fire with. No fly to keep our tent and gear dry. Dried meals do not work very well with cold water. No more stashing for me.

Al

My friend left his quad 10 miles down a cutline in an area where you couldn't take an ATV before noon. He parked it in the bush off the cut. When he walked/hunted his way in and came to the quad the seat was missing. Nothing damaged or broken but there were quad tracks from the other side of the cutline. I guess his seat fit their quad.
    I left 2 trail cams in the bush - bears got them both - I got a good picture of their teeth. lol

What happened to "PACK IT IN PACK IT OUT". You guys sound like lazy slobs. This alone will give hunters a bad image.

Quote Originally Posted by high and to the right View Post
    My friend left his quad 10 miles down a cutline in an area where you couldn't take an ATV before noon. He parked it in the bush off the cut. When he walked/hunted his way in and came to the quad the seat was missing. Nothing damaged or broken but there were quad tracks from the other side of the cutline. I guess his seat fit their quad.
    I left 2 trail cams in the bush - bears got them both - I got a good picture of their teeth. lol
    That's pathetic someone took the seat. Over the years I've had bears eat two quad seats and a buddys snowmobile seat that had to be helicoptered out in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie O View Post
    What happened to "PACK IT IN PACK IT OUT". You guys sound like lazy slobs. This alone will give hunters a bad image.
    Pretty sure he's not talking about leaking stuff permanently, rather a gear cache to return to later.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I've never had to do this myself for sheep hunting or any backpack hunts yet, but I've came across it a few times, seen guys leaving tarps and rain gear under rocks etc but either the winds and sun slowly destroyed them and made a good pile of garbage in the bush or a bear was curious and pulled them out and ripped them, also have to think of hauling all your gear/ stash cans out of the mountains when your done in there, soooo if your packing out your sheep plus stash can make sure you can take it all out so your not leaving stuff behind in the mountains for someone els to haul out.. this is from experience, from what I found sheep hunting, guys leaving stash cans, tarps and rain gear, guess they were successful and could pack it all out!! It's sad to find a mess left in gods country!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie O View Post
    Exactly! Just from experience what I've found! Guys will bring stash cans n tarps etc and shoot a sheep and can't haul it all out and then obviously to lazy or temps to hot and have to get the heck outta there so meat doesn't spoil or ruin their hide so gear gets left and neglected and then I find myself having to clean up after others in the mountains! Such a piss off.... train, bring the necessities, bring out everything you brought in. Not saying everyone does this or that you would leave gear but literally every mountain backpack hunt i seem to find gear/ garbage left.
    Last edited by Backwoods; 01-02-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Taking same amount in and out just lighter loads in , instead of killing my self in and out lol . Lot easier to kill your self coming out with some bone on your back .
    Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Pretty sure he's not talking about leaking stuff permanently, rather a gear cache to return to later.
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

IME, Iv seen way to many garbage piles from people leaving stuff tied up in trees (wrapped in garbage bags). Birds to bears, will find it.

Me personally, I would never ever rely on a stash that I left for a future hunt, I can foresee a good chance of a big fail, but that's just me, I don't mind the extra weight with the reassurance that I have everything I need.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredchev View Post
    I'd use 5g buckets. Seal up nicely and take weight fine. Also easy to make it look like a tree with good camo
    The buckets also double as good camp seats. We've used five gallon buckets painted camouflage and strung between two trees on a pulley system. The suspension system was a reaction to bears getting to stuff pulled up one tree. We just kept tarps, extra fuel canisters, a water pot and other non-food, non-perishable items in them that added comforts but weren't deal breakers for the hunt. One time a bird pecked through the top of the lid and pulled at the tarp leaving it stuck up out of the top. Unfolded it looked like one of those paper snowflakes you cut in elementary school, a nice tight pattern of holes.

We used to take a combined stocking/scouting trip to our base camp a week or two ahead of opening day.