Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ques. about Hydatid in wolves/yotes

Re: Ques. about Hydatid in wolves/yotes

Yes the fellow is from 100 Mile House ....Retired from Forestry ....Hope this helps narrow your inquiry down ...Dennis

My friend had contracted them some where and now has only half a liver. They can't explain where he contracted them but a good guess is from his dogs. Chemo therapy and half a liver is something you don't want to F with...Same guy!!
    Last edited by eastkoot; 01-07-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    Dana says:"That isn't me braggin', that is just me stating a fact."

Yes precautions should be taken skining canines and some other species for that matter. It is good practice to wear gloves but I personally don't know many trappers who resort to a mask. The species I was told to take the most precaution with was actually raccoons. I know trappers who treat raccoon crap like toxic waste

I have never heard of anyone wearing a mask either. If you are opening the animal might not be a bad idea I guess. Not to retract from it being a good idea to wear gloves when skinning a wolf/coyote, what I was trying to get at in my original post was more about what to do after the hide is removed. I.e is there something that should be done with it now that it is off the animal to prevent the spread of Hydatid, should it have Hydatid the larvae can be in the hide. For example, if I'm not ready to tan it, can I toss it rolled up in my freezer where I keep my meat? Is the hide safe to store in the garage around pets until it is tanned etc. From earlier posts you can tell some people think Hydatids is just a joke but I'd rather take a simple measure or two ahead of time than be ill down the road. Doesn't take any time to throw on a pair of gloves etc.

I have bagged and sprayed coyotes with raid before skinning. I was told by another trapper to do this to avoid ticks and other pests

Good chance it would solve the issue. Only passing on how I was taught to deal with them right or wrong don't know but I do it

Skinned lots of furry critters with no issue so far knock on wood lol

I use the raid that is made with christhanimum (spelling is probably wrong)flower

It's in their feces, so if your dog licks a turd then you let it lick your face, your at risk..
    Dana says:"That isn't me braggin', that is just me stating a fact."

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I use the raid that is made with christhanimum (spelling is probably wrong)flower
    Great. Never thought of that! Thanks. Simple to do.