Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ques. about Hydatid in wolves/yotes

Ques. about Hydatid in wolves/yotes

I just started reading about the Hydatid parasite that can be in yotes and wolves and other than wearing gloves while handling it, what care should be taken after removing the hide? If there is parasite larvae around the skin does it need to be frozen? Wouldn't want to bring a hide into my garage and infect my dog or myself etc.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ques. about Hydatid in wolves/yotes

A cyst could be anywhere potentially, yet the tape worms do appear to fortunately be a fairly rare occurrence and seem to focus on the digest tract and feces. Also muscle tissue and organs... So while the skin is an organ, I haven't heard of these cysts being there. One never can tell with certainty though.
    With the usual care you describe, we should be good. Still likely a good idea to keep pets away from the carcass for safety. Heat and/or the tanning process is a better way to destroy parasites than freezing. If you believe you or an animal in your care has been infected, get a rX for something like mebendazole or whatever it is your Dr. suggests asap.

As with most infections and diseases, especially parasites - the mental effects of worry and stress are often the worst part. Hide handling is fine, more likely than not.

Shoot'em with a 416, no need to worry bout parasites

you can infect yourself from dog feces and from burst (liver)-cysts. Otherwise difficult. Rubber gloves are always advisable when skinning predators. There is now E. multilocularis in BC to which can be nastier.

Visit the provincial website for information on wildlife health.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/env...de2011_web.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Cub Driver View Post
    Visit the provincial website for information on wildlife health.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/env...de2011_web.pdf
    thanks for posting that up very good info

Dont scratch ur butt or pick a wedgie after skinning an jnfected animal.

Thanks for the information guys. I was worried about bringing a hide into my garage and getting someone ill. Sounds like most cause for concern is within the carcass and not on the hide. Much appreciated.

I was watching a trapper skin a wolf he caught recently...he was wearing a mask because of the parasites.
    KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    I was watching a trapper skin a wolf he caught recently...he was wearing a mask because of the parasites.
    What the heckin??? This is hypochondria; maybe a mask fetish, perhaps this trapper has a super sensitive olfactory sense... Whatever it is certainly is not necessary. What parasites could a person get from a Wolf in BC that could be inhaled? To the best of my knowledge, it was just pin worms from places with lots of people and poor or no sanitation that were airborne. These are among the least harmful parasites known to mankind. The aforementioned rX would clear such up in hurry.
    Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 01-01-2017 at 04:39 PM.