Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2017 Predator Thread

Official 2017 Predator Thread

Some of us beat the winter blues by heading out and hunting predators.

If you shoot a coyote this winter and want to share a picture or story, feel free to add to this thread. Any info on guns, bullets, scopes, calls, setups for calling, baiting, etc, can be asked here and maybe we can help out in any ways.

Coyotes, WOLVES, lynx, bobcats, cougars...trappers post up too!

I got out for the first time this winter the other day, hiked a mile to a spot where I've had some success over the years. Was a little bit of fresh sign of coyotes on the walk in, but had no luck calling. Set the Foxpro Fusion 25 yards in front of me and sat tight for 25 minutes and played some howls and rabbit distress/crows & ravens, ended in pup distress. Was quite windy and -1c, not ideal. Sun set was beautiful, but right in my eyes and lighting me up. Hope to get out tomorrow for a bit in the morning

This winter I am going to mainly be packing my Tikka T3 in 223, restocked in a McMillan Sako Compact. Scope is a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50 with first focal plane XLR reticle. Currently shooting 60gr Nosler BT @ 3050ish FPS but almost out of this load, will switch to the Hornady 53gr hollow points, they shoot really nice with IMR8208xbr at around 3250 fps.

I also have a CZ 527 American 17 Hornet I'd love to whack a dog with. Shot one last winter with it but only found a tuft of hair, I'd like to try it again a few times before I write it off as a coyote rifle. Last winter I was using the 20gr Vmax @ 3500ish fps, this winter I've switched to the 25gr hollow point @ 3200. Should penetrate a bit deeper and less likely to splash compared to the Vmax. This rifle shoots really nice, I have it topped with a Leupold Fx3 6x42. This cartridge has 1/5th the recoil of a 223, can see the impact through the scope, really fun cartrige. Burns 10 grains of powder

If I go after wolves I'll grab my 7mm SAUM, 150gr Nosler BT's @ 3075 fps. Leupold Vx3i 4.5-14x40 CDS - bit much for coyotes

Calls, this will be my 2nd season with the Foxpro Fusion. Have the SP60 external speaker for those windy days. Awesome call, I've been using Foxpro since 2005, upgraded here and there over the years. Started with the Fx3, then Fx5, then Firestorm. They make a great product. I really like the TX1000 remote on the Fusion, and the ability to play two sounds at once. I feel it made a difference last year. Lots of guys are using electronic calls these days and if you can throw them something different, it really helps. The decoy I am using is Mojo's Super Critter.

Had good success last year in the limited time spent calling. Was at 20% success on the stands I made. Here's some pics of last years hunts

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Official 2017 Predator Thread

Love the predator threads! Went out scouting last couple days looking for good sign,first area had a fair amount of yote track so probably hit that after new years.Second area not much coyote sign but deer and rabbit everywhere!I could hear wolves in this area and wonder if they have pushed the lesser dogs out?Anyway one spot for yotes and one for wolves

A male I shwacked last season.

Entrance and exit wound from 60 grain Hornady spire point,shot was lased at 230 yards. Not much fur damage even though it exited.

Entrance

223? 22-250? I shot two last year with a 63gr soft point from my 223, close shots (30ish yards). One was a frontal DRT and the 2nd was broadside, it did the egg beater a couple times and was done. Very minimal damage
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Wicked pics guys, thanks for sharing..

lookin like that coyote been eaten pretty good lookin at that fat on it, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    223? 22-250? I shot two last year with a 63gr soft point from my 223, close shots (30ish yards). One was a frontal DRT and the 2nd was broadside, it did the egg beater a couple times and was done. Very minimal damage
    Shot that one with .223 savage axis.Hand loaded winchester brass,cci primer and 60 grain flat base spire on top of a stout charge of varget! Great bullets that flatten yotes

I have a Ruger MKII lam. stock .220Swift and a few brass-180 or so. I also have 200 55-NBTs and lots of RE-15, will work up some loads and shoot it later in the month when I drive to Naramata to see Terry.

Want to run at warmish .22-250 speeds to save the throat as this is my only varmint rifle and I cannot afford more guns.