Thread: Proper peep rotation.

Proper peep rotation.

Well I have been going through cycling my bow string in so it stops rotating the peep. I was just reading another thread of "strings and cables" and was going to reply there, but I didn't want to hijack that thread. So I hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by 4ptbuck View Post
    I was wondering about custom stings. Is it worth it? I just put in a tru-peep, and am getting inconsitent rotations.
    I assume that you have found and set your proper peep location.

Cycle your bow for at least 300 shots to wear the string in. If you are still getting rotation after the 300 shots and have the option of taking the string off, take off the string and twist it out one full turn. After this is done and you are still getting large rotation of the peep, try (depending on the bow you have, I just take off my string, use a bow press or however your bow can do it) to relieve string tension and move some strands of string to the opposite side of the direction of rotation. Once you have it that the peep doesn't rotate more than 10% tie the peep in.

Saving myself some time I am going to reference Bowwalkers knocking point article, it's the same technique; Click here. Just tie in some serving right above and below the peep, right at the point where the strings anchoring the peep meet. Once all of this is done tie the peep in itself by adding serving to the inside groove of the peep and tying it over the bowstring.

A proper set and tied in peep shouldn't rotate, and if it does it should reset itself at draw. If you don't like the thoughts of trusting it to rotate at draw, just twist it in location, and if tied and set this shouldn't be a problem for at least 50 shots.

I'll get some pics up soon enough... but it really is an easy enough process.
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 07-08-2007 at 05:59 PM.
    Good trader rating from Jessbennett The others seem to be lost in the original thread deletion.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Proper peep rotation.

Thanks, my string is going to be as set as it is going to get. I've been shooting the same string for over a year.
    My problem isn't peep rotation, but getting a consistent peep rotation. One day it might be bang on, the next slightly out, and even on one occasion, backwards.

I have it tied in, and served on top and on bottom.

I just took off a rubber band peep, cause that was too noisy, and I'd like to keep it off if I can.

Bow Walker Guest

Have you tried taking a few strands from one side of the peep over to the other side to correct your rotation problem?

Worse comes to worst - take the bow in to Boormans and see if Chuck can help you out.

If you don't mind the drive - take your bow out to Specialty Shooting Sports Outdoors in Langley. Mike will fix it for sure.

I haven't tried moving strands yet. Boormans did originally setup my bow, and I used the same 'split' they used to install the rubber band peep.

I figured with the inconsitency of the rotation, it indicated more a 'cheap' string problem, vs setup. Or am I on the wrong track?

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 4ptbuck View Post
    I haven't tried moving strands yet. Boormans did originally setup my bow, and I used the same 'split' they used to install the rubber band peep.

I figured with the inconsitency of the rotation, it indicated more a 'cheap' string problem, vs setup. Or am I on the wrong track?
    Not necessarily on the wrong track. First thing to suspect is whether or not the string has finished settling in. Then look at the peep itself - are there an equal number of strands on each side of it?

Sometimes all it takes is moving a couple strands from one side to the other. That is if your peep rotates to the same place each time - and that place that it always stops at is only a little bit off.

Boormans is predominantly a target archers place. Both Chuck and Ron used to be heavy into spot shooting. Personally I'd look up Specialty Shooting's number and talk to Mike about it before you make the trip out to see him.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dan.

When I out at Boormans, I did chat about the tubeless peeps. Ron wasn't too impressed with them, commenting on the target archers always nudging them with their noses.

As to my string, if it isn't finished settling it'll never be. Peep rotation is one thing. My problem is getting a consistent rotation. Then I think moving strings may help.

Langley eh? I will keep them in mind next time I am passing through.

sometimes with cheaper strings or "factory" strings, temperature can have a great deal of effect on your string performance. a loosely tired center serving combined with a loop can cause problems for ya. maybe before you chuck the strings, try a peep aligner. check your center serving,
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

what make of string is it???/ if it is a factory string, what make is your bow????
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

Factory string on a 2007 Browning Rage One.
    Shooting off a D-loop.
    Temperature may be the culprit.
    What's a peep aligner, the rubber tuning? that's what I am trying to avoid.