Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pelican 60 sled

Pelican 60 sled

CT had the Pelican 60 sled on sale so I bought one. I thought it would be useful to get an animal out of the bush when snow is on the ground. Would it serve any use full purpose to strap skis to the bottom for less friction or is it best just to leave as it is? I would also use it as an ice fishing sled.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pelican 60 sled

I'd leave it as is. They're kinda flimsy. Mine gets used as an ice fishing sled too. It has friction holes along the back/stern for lack of a better word, from dragging out a quartered bull moose. Skis wouldn't have helped in that situation anyways.

My friend has a similar size sled, but his has thin strips of uhmw screwed to the bottom. It makes a huge difference.
    if you look at the big versions of the sled you bought at Canadian tire they have similar set up. I would add or exchange my sled for uhmw strips on the bottom.
    We pull the kids toboggans down a snowy/sanded road with the quad at Sheridan lake. The cheep plastic sleds are pretty much done/finished in a couple hours the uhmw sled stil looks like new and slides like it's brand new.

I have the Snow Trek 75. It has the uhmw strips and it does make it easier to haul. I have hand towed a few times out onto the lake carrying a fairly large load. I do have it rigged to tow behind atv or snowmobile.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Jager, do you have flexible or rigid tow lines?

I've always disliked using rope because the sled is always bumping into whatever is towing it.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

The tow lines are factory attached to the top of the sled. Won't this have a tendency to try and dig the sled into the snow as opposed to attaching it down lower to have more of a pulling effect?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Jager, do you have flexible or rigid tow lines?

I've always disliked using rope because the sled is always bumping into whatever is towing it.
    I have the same one as pictured by Jager .... I made rigid poles for towing with sled for the reason you stated .

http://www.wintercampers.com/2012/12...lk-sled-poles/

Like this , But I used aluminum poles not pvc .

Looking at the picture of the sled, you see two white thingies going over the top of the sled. These are 2 pieces of 1" PVC pipe through which the rope passes. The rope is attached by means of a tight loop on each end and passed through 2 quick connect pins. The pins are also used to attach the ridged towing frame. The tubes keep the sled from contacting the back of your legs when going downhill. You can also see the uhmw strips on the front of the sled.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Right on, I see it now. First glance I wasn't sure if it was PVC or rope pulled tight.

That looks like a good solution.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?