Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Bivvy Bag?

Recommended Bivvy Bag?

Good day all,

my partner and I were discussing a lighter weight option for overnight spike outs while goat hunting. We have backpack hunted in the past and are kitted out for this type of hunting. But there have been a couple occasions where it would have been nice to spend a night in the bush away from our spike camp in order to stage ourselves in a good position for the following morning.

on that note, anyone have any experience with lightweight bivvy sacs they would like to share? We'd be using them in conjunction with a pack tarp/sil tarp for overhead cover.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Recommended Bivvy Bag?

TI goat has been good to me for that type of use.

I have used bivies extensively since 1969 and owned/used several. My favourites by far are the eVent models.mine are from the original Integral Designs, in Calgary.

I would research some of the "cottage makers" in the USA, Borah, etc. and BUY eVent, not GoreTex or some "water resistant" material, this is BC and it gets WET.

I actually prefer a GOOD bivy/tarp rig for much hunting, where there is timber and never go out without such a rig, light pad(s) and a Primaloft bag. I have done many unplanned camps and enjoyed the safety, comfort and overall experience.

I will check for some models to look into.

Quote Originally Posted by Useyourfeet View Post
    TI goat has been good to me for that type of use.
    Ditto.

I feel like I have the Ptarmagin but I had the zipper extended down the side instead of just straight across. It is very roomy, I got the size I thought would be comfortable and there was more room than I expected.

I use it in my LBO or under a tarp. Not sure I'd want to spend a lot of nights in heavy rain.

Unless you are able to set up camp where there is decent drainage and an effective tarp pitch. Neither of those two things are likely to be found in heavy rain. Water does what it wants, when it wants, how it wants. Ain't no way around it.

If that is something you anticipate than as BBD says get yourself something designed for such conditions. Or be prepared to not stay away from camp or make a move back when the bad weather hits.
    Last edited by Lastcar; 12-30-2016 at 07:00 PM.

I don't recommend TiGoat, for several serious reasons, but, whatever.

For your use, I DO recommend Borah Gear Snowyside eVent bivy and then a good 8x10 (minimum) siltarp, or, better, a 10x12.

I have and will camp solo for a few nights in any weather in all months of the year with such a rig and in comfort. Any of the better US gear makers, I really am impressed with Seek Outside, can/will make you a siltarp.

I will not use Asian ID or MEC gear of this type...again, based on experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    I don't recommend TiGoat, for several serious reasons, but, whatever.

For your use, I DO recommend Borah Gear Snowyside eVent bivy and then a good 8x10 (minimum) siltarp, or, better, a 10x12.

I have and will camp solo for a few nights in any weather in all months of the year with such a rig and in comfort. Any of the better US gear makers, I really am impressed with Seek Outside, can/will make you a siltarp.

I will not use Asian ID or MEC gear of this type...again, based on experience.
    Phew, I am about to escape the wrath of BBD. I actually use a Borah Gear.

http://www.borahgear.com/sidebivy.html

Thought the pics of the TiGoat looked different.

You have to be careful, was pretty easy to pull the loop off the mesh that is intended to keep it off your face.

"for several serious reasons, but, whatever." Jesus Dewey, the other threads where guys were trying to kick around got you too tired to throw down in this one too?

You ARE getting old!

My experience is condensation. Condensation. Condensation. I use mine mor as a light weight ground sheet unless the weather is really crappy.

LC, the difference is that while "old", I always speak from having BTDT and not from "research" on the 'net, from anecdotes from others of dubious provenance or from "hero" worship of some braggart salesguy on some US "hunting" site.

So, not to get overly grumpy, but, when I offer advice, I take it seriously as someone might lose his life if he uses improper gear due to "advice" from novices.

You are "young", Grasshopper!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    LC, the difference is that while "old", I always speak from having BTDT and not from "research" on the 'net, from anecdotes from others of dubious provenance or from "hero" worship of some braggart salesguy on some US "hunting" site.

So, not to get overly grumpy, but, when I offer advice, I take it seriously as someone might lose his life if he uses improper gear due to "advice" from novices.

You are "young", Grasshopper!!!!!
    Just when I think you are getting too old, you get a spring in your step.

I was worried maybe Adriatcum had finally beat you down, I mean he is super human after all.

Man, I'd love to have seen the Dewey v. Aron dustup on Rokslide.

One of these days I'll make a plan to meet you at the Mission club and have a go with that Kimber. I'll even let you take a selfie of us!

Hmmm and with the last post from BBD", you can see both the frustrations of the Internet and the immense benefits of sites such as HBC..Huge difference between faceless computer jockeys and experienced individuals who have done and are experienced on what they talk about.
    Srupp