Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A Giant Falls

Re: A Giant Falls

I'm a very patient guy. But that was before this thread started. Keep it coming.

Just wait was a extended lunch break
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Oh we'll wait, we have no choice
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

guest Guest

Knowing about said Giant ....... This delay, is worth the weight ....... In bone

CT

Given the teaser that's been shown. I'll gladly wait as long as it takes to see said "bone".

"I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

I have always been curious about this ...."Giant". Should be a gooder!
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Wow the MD in that picture is so nice, too bad it was only mature . Can't wait for the rest of the story!

Fast forward......

It was late October and still no encounters. I was becoming mentally drained and physically worn out. Elk-Aholic was sticking to the high country where he got the nontyp on cam. Man he passed up some dandies staying true to his goal. As for me, I was going to change things up. Experience has taught me that bigger bucks will“go for a walk” in the pre-rut. I have encountered big bucks during Oct 26-28’ish up and about in the middle of the day covering ground. In this area it lasts a day or 2 and then things go quiet until the rut really get’s going a few weeks later.
    With that understanding, I was going to target mid elevation keying on a couple pinchpoints. If any buck wants to cross a major canyon from the high country there were a couple locations that serve as pretty good funnels.
    It was Oct26th and was packing out after an unsuccessful 3 day hunt. I was beat and needed to replen. I got home late afternoon, reloaded my pack and tucked in for an early night in a comfortable bed for a change. The alarm went off at 3:30 am and I struggled to open my eyes. I was trying to talk myself into sleeping in and taking the day off. Man alive I am glad I didn’t!!
    Last edited by Ourea; 12-30-2016 at 10:49 AM.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

A brisk 2 hr hike had me into the area I wanted to spend my next couple days.
    It was going to be hrs of sitting on my butt working the glass. This coupled with a little still hunting on some isolated trails.

I had picked up on 2 bucks that morning, they were out and about covering ground. Tough part in these scenarios is that the bucks are moving and hard to intercept if they are not coming towards you. This was a good sign bucks were moving though!

I started slowly hiking down off my glassing knob still hunting my way to the next vantage point. I was maybe 15 mins into my stroll when I pick up some movement……buck, and a good one! I was getting glimpses at his left beam thru the timber at 200 yards. He was travelling at about a 45 degree angle towards me. I had yet to get a solid look at his right side….. he may be crab clawed on the one side so I really wanted a good look. It started to creep into my consciousness that this might be the giant typical but I needed a good look at his right side to confirm. His beam length was supporting that possibility. I had my Ziess 10x42’s trained on him as I caught glimpses here and there. At 120 yrds he turned his head my way and I got the look I needed…..IT’S HIM!!!
    Last edited by Ourea; 12-30-2016 at 10:51 AM.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

as if i was having a hard enough time trying not to dream about big mulies all day and then this story pops up