Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: putting down a horse

putting down a horse

Having a tough time doing it myself after 15 years, had to do a few of my dogs but for some reason this is a bit tougher. Any suggestions a vet isn't a option where I'm at.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: putting down a horse

There is no easy way to do the deed, maybe a neighbor?

I feel for you dude!
    --------------------------------------------
    "If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting." Aristotle
    --------------------------------------------
    United Bowhunters of BC (Lifer)
    Backcountry Horsemen of BC.

Im not an expert by any means and i feel for you. Do you have access to injectable pain killer for horses? Maybe a massive overdose. Better than getting a neighbir to shoot him/her. I dont know anything about the legality of this im just throwing it out there off the top of my head

the way had it explained to me is you needed a back hoe. Because the animal must be buried legal depth. Like i am saying 6 feet deep or by today's metric standards 2 metre`s and that is almost an impossible dig by hand

Last April I had to put down my mare that I rescued. We had to administer 3 shots of anesthetics in her before we could get her to lay down, when I got her to lay down I said quick get him out and we performed the emergency c section. The vet tech and I worked on the foal. Apparently the vet had to cut a whole in Annie's side to get the sodium pentobarbital straight into her heart as it wasn't working fast enough in her veins. Because of the euthanasia we had to bury her 6ft down as that's the legal requirement to make sure other animals don't dig down and get at it. If they eat the animal, they too will die from the sodium pentobarbital. There is no easy way of doing it, but my vet always say to do it square between to eyes to make it quick. I wouldn't be able to do it either, so hopefully you have a neighbor that can. So sorry that you have to go through this.

ive done several. and yes its a little hard to watch...but it was never about me or how i felt..it was just what needed to be done. when a horse has a broken leg..you dont stand around wondering how this is going to make you or the family feel..its not fair to the horse
    "Winter is coming"- Ned stark

I know a couple guys who help each other out. One takes care of the other's and vice versa.

They just take them for a walk into the bush where it doesn't bother anyone. Might not be legal anymore but it just makes sense.

Whack some coyotes.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    I know a couple guys who help each other out. One takes care of the other's and vice versa.

They just take them for a walk into the bush where it doesn't bother anyone. Might not be legal anymore but it just makes sense.

Whack some coyotes.

SSS
    I was going to suggest this as well

You (or friend and I will tell you as someone who has killed an animal for a friend, it is quite the favor!) needs to destroy the brain stem. If using an edged tool for the killing, severing the spinal chord between the 2nd and 3rd vertebrae causes all vital function to cease. Can't recommend chemicals, seems WAY nastier to me.

Best of luck with this, sorry for your loss. Always a shame to see a good animal go! I even feel the same when taking game. Of course, it's better to be killed humanely by the hand of a Human than to die via the terrible alternatives.

Like the OP i've had to put down more than my share of dogs over the years and it is never easy and am facing the same with my old mare.
    I think it's the big eyes at head level that just make it seem like a harder thing to get your head around.
    Please don't shoot your horse right between the eyes but make an x from ears to eyes. If you look at a horse skull the brain case is very high up on the skull similar to a moose or elk.
    I think it comes to a choice of "this is something I am obligated to do for my horse" or "this is something that someone else will have to do for me".
    I'm going to the dogs.
    Airy Mtn. Airedales