Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12ga loads for wolves??

12ga loads for wolves??

First i'll start by saying im not a "shotgun guy" never have been, so please excuse my ignorance.
    im finding im having better luck and more encounters in the thick timber than i am in the open. and i really don't know where to start as far as a 2 3/4'' 12 ga load, and can i expect good results out to 50 yards?
    Last edited by Corb89; 12-28-2016 at 09:12 PM.
    "Winter is coming"- Ned stark

2. Site Sponsor

guest Guest

Re: 12ga loads for wolves??

I hope your being serious about wacking wolves, taking them out with a 12gauge, and if you are, what are you shooting SSG or Slugs. That's close range to be in on wolves, if so, I tip my hat to you.

If if only using a 2 3/4 ...... I wouldn't use any thing less then 00 or 000 buck ....... To 50 yards maybe. But slugs you might be able to stretch out there depending on your gun and shell selection.
    What you need to do is pattern your gun with what ever your shooting, find out where it's hitting paper. Be sure to patern it ...... I learned the hard way but didn't know any better.

good luck to you. Post pics if ya wack any. It would be a huge hit here.

Slugs. 3" magnum. Rifled or non, depends on your gun.

Three chances if you get that close with a shot gun.

1 being a crack shot with a regular slug..

2 being a scope fitted rifled barrel with a sabot slug..

3 being Federal Premium 00 Buckshot with FLIGHTCONTROL WAD...

3 being hard to find, Bass pro had it when they first opened, helped clean the shelves for hunting deer on Galiano Island..
    Last edited by Ohwildwon; 12-28-2016 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Happy New Year!!

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    I hope your being serious about wacking wolves, taking them out with a 12gauge, and if you are, what are you shooting SSG or Slugs. That's close range to be in on wolves, if so, I tip my hat to you.

If if only using a 2 3/4 ...... I wouldn't use any thing less then 00 or 000 buck ....... To 50 yards maybe. But slugs you might be able to stretch out there depending on your gun and shell selection.
    What you need to do is pattern your gun with what ever your shooting, find out where it's hitting paper. Be sure to patern it ...... I learned the hard way but didn't know any better.

good luck to you. Post pics if ya wack any. It would be a huge hit here.
    seen six today. and i felt like i could have gotton something accoplished if i had a scattergun..unusual for me to feel that way..i damn sure wont go without my rifle..i just figured i could pretend to be Les Johnsen
    "Winter is coming"- Ned stark

I think 00 Buck is the ticket. Plenty of knock-down power and a bit of a spray pattern.

A slug is no different than a rifle-- one projectile. Worse in terms of accuracy.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

You say your not a shotgun guy so why not go with a 303 iron sights?

If you think you can use slugs then I'd suggest you use a rifle with iron sights. 00 or 000 loads would be what I'd go with with a full choke and a flight control wad if you're anticipating hitting moving targets in dense bush. My 2 Cents.......
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Hey Corb. ...give em hell..!..always liked the slugs..used so many models..but so seldom..over the years..havnt had that many close encounters..that would have worked out well..so far only the 3 wolves this year but all were at 200 yards is. .
    Coffee is on next time in town..
    Cheers
    Srupp

guest Guest

Way to go Steven. Post some pics of them bad dogs