Thread: Garmin alpha or sport dog 2.0lt

Garmin alpha or sport dog 2.0lt

Hey just wondering if any of you guys have brought an alpha across the border and had any problems with the firmware update ? Also interested in the sportdog 2.0lt but the reviews havnt been so hot anyone have any experience or insight on the system . Any info would be appreciated!!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Garmin alpha or sport dog 2.0lt

I just bought the Sportdog. I've used it once. So far so good
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

Running the alpha have been since it come out. All collars tt10s and 15s are up to the latest update as well as the alpha. No issues. What are you got for dogs and how do you want to use the system. If you want something hat shows you, the dog, direction, and distance the sportsogs fine. But the alpha kicks it's a$$ for training and mapping etc. I wouldn't run the sportdog on any hound other than beagles. Check out the Quicktrack Omni.

Cant comment on the 2.0 but I have had the sportdog tek 1.0 for over a year now. Haven't had any issues and works great on my GSP. Dog beats the heck out of it in the bush and nothings gone wrong, tough unit.

The odd time I've found you have to re-calibrate the GPS as the collar will appear off by about 10 yards or so on the screen. Only takes a minutes and puts it right back on track to within a few feet.

Not sure if the Garmin is the same but I like the fact that the GPS signal will change to prolong the battery life as it drops, from 2 second updates to 10, then 30 then 60 the minutes. In case that one of chance something goes wrong and your dog is out there for a while. Sometimes I haven't used it for a few weeks and turn it on it still has full battery life on both the collar and handheld.