Thread: Beginner field work class- upper island retriver club - comox valley

Beginner field work class- upper island retriver club - comox valley

Are you just starting field work with your retriever? Or are you hoping to try some Junior Hunter or Working Certificate tests in 2017? Do you want to start the process of turning your dog into a well groomed retriever for hunting? Well, perhaps this is the class for you.

When: Five sessions on Saturday afternoons, 1:00-4:00 (may finish earlier) Feb. 25, March 4, 11, 18, 25.

Where: Location TBA - various locations in the Comox Valley

Who: Sheila Kenny and Helper Coaches

What: Small groups. Dog/handler teams will work at their own level.

Cost: $85.00 per 5 week session (includes small group coaching, land use, birds and bumpers.)

A tentative plan is:

Group A: Green dogs and perhaps green handlers as well – just getting into the retrieving game. Introduction to the skills the dogs will need: awakening the retrieve desire, learning to having your dog “steady” (remain sitting) when the bumpers or birds are thrown, marking, obedience on leash and getting to the starting line, experience with birds and bumpers, working on the hold if needed.

Group B: These are dogs with some demonstrated desire and some experience in retrieving. We will focus on how to advance marking skills, familiarization with holding blinds and equipment, obedience getting to the start line, dog learning to be steady when birds or bumpers are thrown, appropriate returns to handlers, and giving handlers the skills/practice they need to advance their dogs.

Group C: These dogs will have a “fetch” and recall – and now we will work on advancing marking, adding some concepts, working in the presence of other dogs and noise, moving from holding blind to holding blind, remaining steady while birds are being thrown or when other dogs are working, general obedience and getting ready for those first hunt tests or WC.

Groups will be flexible – make-up of groups will shift as needed so that dog/handlers teams get the practice that works for their level. Groups may be combined to meet needs. Flexibility and individualization will be the focus.

If you have any questions, please contact Sheila Kenny at: sheila2sams@shaw.ca

To register for these classes, please see attached form.

http://members.shaw.ca/UIRC/Flyer.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Beginner field work class- upper island retriver club - comox valley

Wish we had this in the okanagan!

Thanks for the info Lorne. I just emailed Sheila about it. I am up in CR but have been wondering about some hunting/retrieving training for my girl Cedar, and for me too as I have never done it before.
    Look forward to giving it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBrit View Post
    Thanks for the info Lorne. I just emailed Sheila about it. I am up in CR but have been wondering about some hunting/retrieving training for my girl Cedar, and for me too as I have never done it before.
    Look forward to giving it a try!

Awesome! Shelia is a retired school teacher and has been around in all of the VI retriever clubs for quite a while. The helpers will be a mix of people with master level dogs, Field trial retrievers and hunters. It will be great for dogs of all ages looking to either get started or refine some skills.

Lorne
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

i wanna come....

... Fabulous opportunity for all who go!! The Island crowd is the place to be when it comes for field training!! Selection of training grounds are second to none and the folks are VERY welcoming!!

All signed up. Can't wait to go. Hopefully my dog won't embarrass me too much...lol. Guess that's on me as the trainer...
    Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    well they aren't scissoring... so at least one is male

**********bump**********

Do this in the LML and I'd be there like stink on poo!

There is one similar on the mainland...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...-March-11-2017