Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: training an older dog for birds and need some advice

Re: training an older dog for birds and need some advice

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    On the other side of the coin,,,,how young is too young to attend a seminar like this? i.e. Is 3 months old too young?
    3 months old is NOT ago young to attend the seminar. They are little sponges at this age and it's a super fun time for them and you watching them soak up information.

You will learn tons!

P.S. I start training the dogs I have bred at 5 weeks old.

Kas

Quote Originally Posted by Gucho View Post
    Hello folks,
    We are looking at adopting a 2 year old GSP mix and he has had very little to no training. We are wanting to train him for birds mainly. I am afraid that he may be too old to train. I have the whole family willing to put in the time to train him. He is a rescue that was given up because his owners went to a place that did not allow pets. So there has been no abuse there.

I want to know what you guys and gals think of a 2 year old pup for birds.

All your input is appreciated, thanks!
    Hi Gucho,

will the GSP you are looking at chase things?

As others have said you will hedge your bets getting a pup or dog from proven field lines. Yes, there are dogs that don't have any desire to retrieve. One of my pet peeves is breeders who sell dogs into a hunting home with the hopes it will turn into a hunting dog when they have no knowledge themselves on what to look for in a hunting puppy.

With an older dog as long as the dog will chase things you will likely be able to train him to retrieve ducks for you. It may take a lot of work and effort or it may not. It depends on the individual dog, and how much time and resources you have to put into him but that is the same when starting with a puppy too. A natural retrieve would be perfect but if all he has is chase, it's a start. If the dog has no chase then I'd pass on him.

Whether you get the dog or not, come to the seminar so you get a taste of what it's like to train a hunting dog.

Kas

Quote Originally Posted by Gucho View Post
    Hello folks,
    We are looking at adopting a 2 year old GSP mix and he has had very little to no training. We are wanting to train him for birds mainly. I am afraid that he may be too old to train. I have the whole family willing to put in the time to train him. He is a rescue that was given up because his owners went to a place that did not allow pets. So there has been no abuse there.

I want to know what you guys and gals think of a 2 year old pup for birds.

All your input is appreciated, thanks!

What's the other half of your GSP mix?What kind of hunting would you do with your dog....waterfowl,upland??Do you want your dog as a pointing dog or flushing dog?Retrieving game is secondary as it will come after he is trained as a pointer or flusher.
    Rainer

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    What's the other half of your GSP mix?What kind of hunting would you do with your dog....waterfowl,upland??Do you want your dog as a pointing dog or flushing dog?Retrieving game is secondary as it will come after he is trained as a pointer or flusher.
    Rainer
    Exactly. What good is retrieving if you are not finding birds. It seems every new dog tread on here always assumes its all about the retrieve.