Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: training an older dog for birds and need some advice

training an older dog for birds and need some advice

Hello folks,
    We are looking at adopting a 2 year old GSP mix and he has had very little to no training. We are wanting to train him for birds mainly. I am afraid that he may be too old to train. I have the whole family willing to put in the time to train him. He is a rescue that was given up because his owners went to a place that did not allow pets. So there has been no abuse there.

I want to know what you guys and gals think of a 2 year old pup for birds.

All your input is appreciated, thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: training an older dog for birds and need some advice

Definitely not to old. Bring him to this, and meet some like minded people.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...-March-11-2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Patience is the key with older dogs. I took a GSP at six that was gun shy....lots of Patience, he is now 13 and was one of my best dogs by far...Develop a bond with the dog and he will want to please.

good luck

If he has the natural instinct to hunt you will be able to train him. I had a golden retriever with zero hunting or retrieving instinct, she was an awesome dog but didn't hunt or even fetch a ball.

If the dog you had did not retrieve a ball or something thrown for it, my opinion is that it was a dog, but not a Golden Retriever. Retrievers have a natural desire to chase and retrieve.

It could have or may have been a bred out bench bred dog. No natural instinks left. Bred to be pretty but dumb. A dog like that should not be called a Golden Retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by SPEYMAN View Post
    If the dog you had did not retrieve a ball or something thrown for it, my opinion is that it was a dog, but not a Golden Retriever. Retrievers have a natural desire to chase and retrieve.

It could have or may have been a bred out bench bred dog. No natural instinks left. Bred to be pretty but dumb. A dog like that should not be called a Golden Retriever.
    Very helpful comment.

Moron.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    Definitely not to old. Bring him to this, and meet some like minded people.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...-March-11-2017
    On the other side of the coin,,,,how young is too young to attend a seminar like this? i.e. Is 3 months old too young?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Very helpful comment.

Moron.

I may have used more soft wording than speyman did but I agree with him completely.

op,
    yes you will be able to train your dog for birds, no it isn't too late. Get some bird wings and a throw dummy and a book or two. You got a lot of time till next year

It is tough to say so I won't say it but I will say this. If you want a gun dog buy a gun dog. They are bred to hunt. Mixes are not bred to hunt.

that said you will love your dog and I have no doubt he will do everything you want him to.

Again, speyman is correct. A gun dog is bred to hunt. If you can't tell the difference you are not into birds as much as some and in that case it won't matter to you.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    On the other side of the coin,,,,how young is too young to attend a seminar like this? i.e. Is 3 months old too young?
    Nope definitely not to young. I brought my rosie to her first class around 3 months. You aren't going to make a gun dog in 8 hours with a 3 month old dog, but you will be surrounded by people that can help you along. There will be lots of good info and all the ladies will love your cute puppy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by SPEYMAN View Post

Unfortunately the show/pet/field split in most gundog breeds can and does cause this. I have run across dogs from a number of the popular gundog breeds that show no interest in retrieving or birds in general. If you want a gundog buy a pup from proven gundog lines. Pretty is as pretty does.
    On another note great advice Lorne.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.