Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best tripod and head combo for glassing

Re: Best tripod and head combo for glassing

I went with the carbon fibre Swarovski CT101.

Excellent for glassing while sitting on a stump, or standing. I haven't packed it farther than a km or two, I know there's better choices for backpack hunting...It goes to the range more than any hunting activity.

I can't compare it to others. I like the head, and got used to using it without looking at it very quickly.

Edit: I just re read the original thread and noticed that you want to use binocs. I'm not sure what's needed (if anything) to convert.
    Last edited by Boner; 12-29-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Im using a promaster xc325c. Bascially the same as the 525c except its 3 leg sections versus 5. Only thing with mine is it doesnt pack down as small the 525c, which is ok because i can get it out and onto an animal faster. Lastcar saw mine when he had the toy sirui tripod and was so happy with it he left yogurt all over the legs of my tripod. Im using a vangaurd ph111v head on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    Im using a promaster xc325c. Bascially the same as the 525c except its 3 leg sections versus 5. Only thing with mine is it doesnt pack down as small the 525c, which is ok because i can get it out and onto an animal faster. Lastcar saw mine when he had the toy sirui tripod and was so happy with it he left yogurt all over the legs of my tripod. Im using a vangaurd ph111v head on mine.
    Calm your tits, you pinko comie dingus.

Well, first I noticed it was 41 inches long strapped to your pack. I thought you brought two rifles.

Saving those 7 seconds to get one set of legs out to be able to glass up animals sitting down is certainly a disadvantage. Of course being a hobbit, I barely need any legs extended.

I prefer the shorter version, as it gives me more options to pack it inside the bag.

But yes, you do get credit for getting to move on from my super light tripod. Just like I shamed you into trying a quilt. Our lives have never been better! I can now see things, you sleep like a baby. What a time to be alive!

Well except for my snoring...but I never notice it as much as you do.
    Last edited by Lastcar; 12-30-2016 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Useyourfeet View Post
    I've been really happy with my outdoorsman medium. Started with their pistol grip and now the micro pan head. Really liked the pistol grip but I think the planner will be more effective in grid searching.
    I had been determined to get an Outdoorsman. But in time the weight and cost scared me away. But no doubt, they are very high-quality setup. I bet if it wasn't for the price there'd be way more of them out there. Which isn't to say they aren't worth their costs.

I had a boner for the pistol grip head for a long time. That actually sounds kinda awkward...

Never did get to try it but am glad I went with a pan head. I hear more opinions like yours about it. It is great but in the end kind of limiting.

You, SR80, myself and a few others should get together and have a gear geek out session around the Sheep Show in March. Get to check out other gear and see it first hand etc. Lots of things I've contemplated but never seen in person. Cause just when you think you are happy with your setup, something shiny creeps into your head.

Hopefully SR80 and I will have our new Stone Glacier packs by then too. He is so excited about them I expect him to wear it to the banquet.

Parking lot gear show and tell might save or cost us all a bunch of money, always nice to get to handle gear before spending the money and see what works and what doesn't. Those helinox type chairs are awesome, not sure I would backpack with mine but day hunting it seems to come along a lot.

The chair was never a thing on my radar. At 2.5+ lbs. Seemed nuts to me.

This a new model exclusive to REI for one year, maybe longer.

It is 1lb and packs up small.

On the fence about it. I kinda missed the connection with the ground. Humans don't spend enough time sitting in anything but a chair. Feels good to plunk er down on the ground from time to time.

Plus the wind blows under you, which can chill you down more and quicker if the weather is doing its thing.

At the end of the day it is adding 1lb to the pack and solves a problem I am not sure is a problem.

The real test of any piece of gear (other than safety gear) is how often does it make into the pack, how often does it come out of the pack, and how many times did you miss it when you didn't bring it.

Day trips or short distance multi-day trips it'd be reasonable to bring along. But still not sure it'll pass the test above.

We'll see how long it lasts.

Anyone wanna buy some kryptek?

Outdoosman Compact medium with pistol grip panhead. Ive been running that for 4+ years and absolutely love it. You can get an attachment to use it as a shooting rest for your rifle.

Ok, another addition to the original, how/what are you using to attach/mount the binos to the tripod.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

I used a vortex mount for awhile, finally bought the outdoorsman attachment and it is fantastic after you get over the sticker shock.