Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best tripod and head combo for glassing

Best tripod and head combo for glassing

What are you guys using for a backpack tripod/head setup. Looking to sit and glass with binoculars. Love to hear what you're using as well as a pros and cons list.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best tripod and head combo for glassing

Sirui t25 I believe they are amazing light sturdy bought one from ebay
    How many more sleeps till sheep season starts again

I just sold my Sirui T-025 with Manfrotto 49C ball head and got a Promaster XC525C with a Benro S2 head.

It added a bit of weight but is damn solid. I think I am around 1lb heavier, maybe a little less. I'll have to look it up on my gear list, where I also track weights.

But the glassing experience is exponentially better. Only used it on one 5 day trip and there was next to no wind, but so far so good. Since there was next to no wind I was using the center post raised while seated. Tried it out while standing as well, obviously not as stable but with the binos was good enough. With the spotter, it was so so. I am 5'8 and had another 3 inches or so I could have gone up.

The Sirui and Manfrotto head setup is pretty awesome too. So don't be afraid to check the Sirui setup out.

For me it was like going from great to really great. With little weight penalty.

http://blog.sandsarchery.com/ss-arch...-tripod-guide/

http://blog.sandsarchery.com/benro-s2-video-head/

I'll try to get some pics up.

Last edited by Lastcar; 12-25-2016 at 12:58 AM.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I'm using a Sirui K10 ball head and Slik Carbon Fibre 634 tripod, highly recommended by "sheephunter" on HBC
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcar View Post
    I just sold my Sirui T-025 with Manfrotto 49C ball head and got a Promaster XC525C with a Benro S2 head.

It added a bit of weight but is damn solid. I think I am around 1lb heavier, maybe a little less. I'll have to look it up on my gear list, where I also track weights.

But the glassing experience is exponentially better. Only used it on one 5 day trip and there was next to no wind, but so far so good. Since there was next to no wind I was using the center post raised while seated. Tried it out while standing as well, obviously not as stable but with the binos was good enough. With the spotter, it was so so. I am 5'8 and had another 3 inches or so I could have gone up.

The Sirui and Manfrotto head setup is pretty awesome too. So don't be afraid to check the Sirui setup out.

For me it was like going from great to really great. With little weight penalty.

http://blog.sandsarchery.com/ss-arch...-tripod-guide/

http://blog.sandsarchery.com/benro-s2-video-head/

I'll try to get some pics up.

Thanks for the pics and the links. Been trying to sort this problem out for awhile.

Lastcar thanks for posting the reviews. Some good info there. I agree fully with their recommendation for twist lock rather than lever lock tripod legs. My hunting partner could deploy his 40 plus year old Vivitar tripod with twist locks and be glassing faster than I could even get done setting up the legs on the lever lock style tripod I previously had.

I just tried to find the weight of my Sirui and Manfroto ball head but had already deleted it.

But pretty sure it was just over 2lbs with the adapter plate.

I took out the bottom two leg segments to shave some weight. There is a post over Rokslide about how to do it.

They we're pretty thin and wouldn't have been used anyway. Would make things to unstable.

But again, I was content with the Sirui T025, just was little shaky with the 85mm spotter. I found mine without the stock head on EBay. I was going to replace it anyways, so I saved a few bucks.

If you have access to a mailbox in Blaine or Sumas Cameraland NY are great to deal with.

S&S are also awesome.

I couldn't find the Promaster or Benro head in Canada. Or at least not at a reasonable price. I'd have bought in Canada if I could.

That Slik 634 was on my radar too.

Another thing I added to the glassing arsenal is that chair in the one picture. It was as much about having it in camp as well. Only 1lb and seemed pretty great. Was a thread on Rokslide where guys were listing their glassing setup and this was a common item for about a 3rd of the posters.

Only used it on that 5 day trip. One thing I noticed classing is it lets the wind blow below you, which adds a little more chill, vs sitting on a foam pad on the ground. Got that one from REI as they have the exclusive rights to it for a year.

https://www.rei.com/product/109587/helinox-chair-zero

Not sure I care enough about sitting in a chair enough to pack and extra pound. Kinda a lightweight fanatic, but am loosening up on that.
    Last edited by Lastcar; 12-25-2016 at 12:29 PM.

I've been really happy with my outdoorsman medium. Started with their pistol grip and now the micro pan head. Really liked the pistol grip but I think the planner will be more effective in grid searching.

Great info guys, keep it going... thanks for the pics Lastcar, they are worth there weight in gold.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Just picked up a Promaster XC525C to replace the on I left at the bottom of Quesnel Lake for $292 from Mcbain Cameras Boxing week sale, thats a smoking deal for an awesome tripod! I prefer it to the Sirui 025.