Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Frame packs?

Re: Frame packs?

I use the SlumberJack Rail Hauler that I got at Wholesale. I have had 110lbs in it with no worries during training. It's basically a frame with a really good suspension and wings that wrap around to secure your load. When I pack gear in it, I use a lightweight Sea to Summit dry bag and sit it on the shelf. Works perfect for day hunts too, just use a smaller dry bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
    I just picked up a barneys freighter frame and Yukon pack, at the begging of 2016 from Barneys Sports Chalet in Alaska, before was using a badlands ox frame pack and honestly, once you try a barneys all loaded up with 70-100lbs you'll be soooo happy with your purchase!! Initially it's a big cost but you'll never have to buy another pack! Badlands OX is really comfortable and decent price and amazing warranty, I tried the Wilderness Wonder frames and couldn't imagine coming out heavy with one, if you can try on multiple packs, and if possible put some weight in it!! Good luck dude!
    I have a wilderness wanderer, when i first bought it, i thought OH NO, what did i just burn 750$ on???
    A friend, with a WW, help me set it up, "properly".
    It is an awesome pack, for really heavy loads.
    Buuuttt,,, their buckles do wear, and break, eventually.

ajr, the odd WW, shows up used, and cheap in the buy/sell forum.
    Worth a look for sure.
    Merry Christmas.

For those asking about the F1 ...

I trialed an Eberlestock F1 Main Frame this last season coupled with a Spike Camp Duffle & LP1 Top Lid/Fanny Pack. My requirements were for day trips with minimal gear and the option to get game out on the first trip back. I also wanted the modularity/flexibility of being able to drop the pack and continue out with just essentials (Top Lid/Fanny) in the event of and emergency (injury,etc.). My conclusion ... not bad. It certainly carried better than the other Eberlestock bags that I have tested (X1A1, X2, M5 Team Elk, J34 Just One). Also Better than the MR Crew Cab (without load lifter extensions) and all other internal frame bags that I have tried (I have not tried any other MR bags or Kifaru, etc ...) I have not tried any of the bigger external frame packs as my goal was to stay as small as possible for my needs but I'm sure they would be just as capable if not even more so.

With respect to quality the Eberlestocks are built like a brick shit house, just as strong IMO as any other packs out there including the big names. As for design however, I think they are a hair under the likes of MR, Kifaru, etc.. I think they could do a better job with their waist belt but it was pretty comfortable with a load on even though I had to stop and re tighten the belt every once in a while.

I'm not sure what the pack weight was but it included 2 bone in back quarters, 2 back straps, 2 tender loins, neck meat from both sides and the entire head (which I would have left behind had someone in my family not "borrowed" my pack saw and not returned it before my trip ). The duffel contains some extra clothing, 65mm spotter and kill kit. The Top Lid holds a bit of safety gear and some snacks and there is also extra ammo, water, camera and range finder on the belt. And yes I know the rifle would have been better placed along side of the pack but I opted to try and keep it from getting too messy lol ... it worked out

I purchased all of this a couple years back so the prices were a bit better but today this setup would be about $350 before taxes/shipping (Warriors & Wonders). So prob half? the price of the bigger name packs. Will they offer $300ish better carry? I guess that's subjective but for me it carried well enough (with a weight that I will never exceed) that I would be hard pressed to convince myself to spend the extra money.

PS ... I (OK my wife ) made a few mods that without may not have resulted in the same conclusion. We sewed tab loops around the entire frame which allowed multiple additional attachment points to secure the meat to the frame without having to compress the Duffel to do so. She also sewed internal side pockets, a back pocket and external daisy chains onto the duffel for organization and to help secure the duffel with just the straps (or even just one strap if you needed the other two for meat) once it's unzipperd from the main frame. I know this is not the place for this detail but just wanted to be clear that without the extra attachment points (which should come standard on the pack IMO) I would most likely not be as happy with it. Please feel free to PM if anyone has any questions on the mods.
    Last edited by krazy; 12-23-2016 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    Have you looked at the tatonka lasternaxe?
    Ya just yesterday its in my basement No experience yet other than it contained a crammed load of stuff when I moved off the island a few months back. Seems well built for the price the frame is beefy I would break before it by the looks of things and its comfortable. Pic is just the frame I bought the matching bag too. I wanted a big pack board system for getting a moose out but knowing my day pack would be used 90% of the time for most hunting I do and this very little I didn't want to spend top dollar. I'm happy with the choice.

its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions gents. I think I'll save some pennies and buy something of higher quality. Nothing worse than going cheap, having it fail and cause frustration, only to have to spend the money for something decent anyway.

Might also look look for a used MR pack or something similar.
    Can't go wrong with a used MR, I was actually planning on going that route before I found the Cabelas Alaskan. That said, I was looking for a meat freighter, first and foremost, so interchangeable bag systems were not an issue. If you do go MR, get the load lifter extensions, if not, you'd be further ahead with the Cabelas. Seriously, they are way better than their price point and are a great pack for utility and a comfortable way to ssve abuse on a high dollar pack.

The Tatonka is a solid pack/frame set up. Been using the set up since high school so about 6ish years of abuse. It has handled any fall with or without load and held up great.

I frequently do solo 3 day weekend benders; while the amount of gear one has is person dependent I don't have a lot of vacant storage space on those trips (70L bag) with less dense materials. Throw in a goat and you're strapping stuff to the outside like mad and that's after cutting away basically all inedible tendons/skin/bones/etc.

For strictly a meat hauler it would be excellent. As you can fit the cleaned up meat and cape of a mid sized animal with alittle room to spare (again person dependent on the processing). Regarding dense material (meat) you can put easily 100+lbs in the bag; probably as much as an average person could carry properly.

The Tatonka is a good set up but it has its limitations. A 70L (about 4300 CI if my converter is right) bag is what it is. Biggest thing holding it back is the bag space IMO, the frame can take it. Just my opinion and experience hope it helps. This pack is a great bang for your buck and more but I foresee a Stone Glacier 6000+CI in my future. Cheers.

Exomtngear , light , titanium frame, comfortable

No flies on the Tatanka frame either, just no Canadian distributor currently. Unless that's changed since September.

Best pack I ever bought, is the Tatonka I bought for my eldest son. He is 6-6, stong as a bull and maybe as smart. After I load him up there is not too much left for the old man. My only fear is he might find out about MR or Barneys and then I will be out a few bucks. Until that day all is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Kopper View Post
    The Tatonka is a solid pack/frame set up. Been using the set up since high school so about 6ish years of abuse. It has handled any fall with or without load and held up great.

I frequently do solo 3 day weekend benders; while the amount of gear one has is person dependent I don't have a lot of vacant storage space on those trips (70L bag) with less dense materials. Throw in a goat and you're strapping stuff to the outside like mad and that's after cutting away basically all inedible tendons/skin/bones/etc.

For strictly a meat hauler it would be excellent. As you can fit the cleaned up meat and cape of a mid sized animal with a little room to spare (again person dependent on the processing). Regarding dense material (meat) you can put easily 100+lbs in the bag; probably as much as an average person could carry properly.

The Tatonka is a good set up but it has its limitations. A 70L (about 4300 CI if my converter is right) bag is what it is. Biggest thing holding it back is the bag space IMO, the frame can take it. Just my opinion and experience hope it helps. This pack is a great bang for your buck and more but I foresee a Stone Glacier 6000+CI in my future. Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Ya just yesterday its in my basement No experience yet other than it contained a crammed load of stuff when I moved off the island a few months back. Seems well built for the price the frame is beefy I would break before it by the looks of things and its comfortable. Pic is just the frame I bought the matching bag too. I wanted a big pack board system for getting a moose out but knowing my day pack would be used 90% of the time for most hunting I do and this very little I didn't want to spend top dollar. I'm happy with the choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    No flies on the Tatanka frame either, just no Canadian distributor currently. Unless that's changed since September.
    Back in 2012, my brother and myself forced our dad to retire his old trapper nelson... partly because he hadn't bought a new pack since him and Vince Nelson use to fight bears in grade 3. The other part is I want it for future taxidermy projects. Anyways, we bought him a tatonka set-up. He uses it often on day trips and weekend warrior trips. It'll also work if I do drag him into the mountains for critters. His only complaints are the nylon on the pack sack itself is a little noisey, especially when frosty. The other complaint is hiking with his rifle on his shoulder with the pack on. Kind of knocks against the frame. So now we gotta get him either a safari sling or a scabbard. I think he'll like the sling better.