Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frame packs?

Frame packs?

Going to get a hunting pack for next season and am hoping to get some suggestions? Basically want something that will be used for packing meat, and perhaps the odd multi-day trip carrying backpacking/camping gear.

As much as i'd love a Mystery Ranch pack, so something similar, I just cant justify the $$$, so thinking something with an external frame (perhaps the Cabela's Alaskan Outfitter).

What do you guys use? If I got a frame pack with just the frame and harness system, is that enough?

2. Site Sponsor

guest Guest

Re: Frame packs?

I have used a Camptrails for years, removable external frame. Big pack though when attached. Sure it's not the best out there, far from it. It was cost effective at the time and has done way more then it's money's worth. I just can't see breaking the bank for brand names ....... Get the best you can afford. Comfort is huge so load ER up. Or just get a Trapper Nelson ..... With no waist belt ..... Ouch

I just picked up a barneys freighter frame and Yukon pack, at the begging of 2016 from Barneys Sports Chalet in Alaska, before was using a badlands ox frame pack and honestly, once you try a barneys all loaded up with 70-100lbs you'll be soooo happy with your purchase!! Initially it's a big cost but you'll never have to buy another pack! Badlands OX is really comfortable and decent price and amazing warranty, I tried the Wilderness Wonder frames and couldn't imagine coming out heavy with one, if you can try on multiple packs, and if possible put some weight in it!! Good luck dude!
    Last edited by Backwoods; 12-22-2016 at 10:54 AM.

What is your actual budget upper limit, as the higher prices of some packs is well worth paying given their superior performance.

This, becomes ever more important as you age and some of the current "name" packs are SO superior under heavy load to even the best of only a few years ago, that it amazes me.

My suggestion would be to check the systems offered by Seekoutside in the USA. You can start with a Revolution Frame and build as and when you wish with various bags and accessories.

I prefer these to any and I have owned and used about everything in 60+ years of packing. Call them and see what they suggest, they are THE best folks to deal with I have encountered yet.

I've used a Cabela's akaskan outfitter packframe on 4 backpack trips for goat. Now use a Tatonka Lastenkraxe bag on it. Has worked very well.

Yes, I too would love a higher end pack, but for the $$$ this has been a cost effective and reliable pack combo

just sold a brand new one of these. i also run another version they have, love their gear. same stuff as badlands but cheeper.

http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products...ander-pack-bag

anyone have experience with eberlestocks f1 mainframe?

I have an eberlestock team elk, really nice internal frame pack but I am kicking myself for not getting the f1 and a separate pack. My hunting partner uses a cabelas frame and just hangs a day pack off of it, works really well and really affordable.

Bought a Cabela's Alaskan frame this past fall as a meat freighter and it did surprisingly well considering the price point. $129 on sale, and they go on sale a few times a year. Would I do a 2 week sheep hunt with it? I doubt it. But a long weekend or light overnight with the possibility of packing meat out, absolutely. My plan is to buy a Tatonka bag or use a dry bag or two as a pack system.

It is not a MR, but it is a lot of pack for the money.