Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Christmas present for new hunters - pack kit / kill kit / survival kit

Re: Christmas present for new hunters - pack kit / kill kit / survival kit

If you take any medications on a daily basis, be sure to include a few days supply in your emergency and day pack kits.

I always had my boys set up this way as well. Makes for good xmas gift stuff.

Thanks Everyone - love the dental floss and the instant adhesive ideas. My plan is to set them up with essentials and my kit will be the tickle trunk carrying the one-offs.

Merry Christmas! Spring Bear isn't far away!

I vacuum seal all my little kits. I also take a spare pair of thin wool socks and vac seal them into a little package (nothing like dry socks). Most of the things mentioned are on my list as well. I have made one for my wife and my daughter and we NEVER head into the woods without at least one pack.

I hunted with a good friend a few years back, he jumped out of the truck with his jeans, wool shirt, gun and pair of binos in the other hand. No idea if he had a fire starter or anything else at all. Make me nervous.

xpeier

Our killbags look much like the OP's.

We have learned the hard way that the bag is only any good at all if it is WITH YOU when you are afield.
    Several times early on, as we were driving to our preselected location, we would bail out of the truck to get a closer look at something. Once, we were very lucky and this lead to a harvest. But first we had to trudge back to get the bags!!!
    Now the bag is habitually donned even for a quick glassing session.

Oh I forgot to add a tick key. Because sometime they will see or get one of those little buggers on them. You can get them at pet food stores. I always carry 2 now.

How about a little canvas wallet with a elastic on it and on the elastic put a little piece of orange flagging tape in it. I know as last year I lost my wallet while hunting but I found it and a member on here said to put a elastic on your wallet then it wont fall out of your pants pocket and I thought of the orange flagging tape as if I do loose it again I can see it better.

And I think this is a great idea you are doing better for the girls to be prepared.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by markathome View Post
    Hey Hunters ! So Christmas is upon us and my two awesome daughters are taking their CORE this upcoming summer (as soon as the youngest turns 10 (her sister will be 12)).

I thought I would give them their own pack kits/kill kits for Christmas to get them set up for next year's season. Not sure about you guys, but I have a big heavy duty zip lock that goes in my pack/truck no matter what hunt I'm on, where I'm going, or how far I'll be hoofing it.

They've been hunting with me for years and have helped pack out bucks, field dress and all that.

I break my kit into two categories: kill and survival.

Mine has:
    Kill Kit
    tags
    photo copy of license(s) and PAL
    knife sharpener
    surgical gloves
    extra zip lock for organs
    small pack of baby wipes
    alcohol swabs for clean up
    sandwich zip lock for garbage

Survival
    emergency shelter (not a space blanket)
    extra ultra small headlamp with batteries reversed (E+light from petzel)
    fire starter
    extra lighter with duct tape wrap
    20' para cord
    small tube (lighter size) of body glide - nobody likes friction!
    small packet of mole skin
    small emergency first aid kit with compression bandage and a few critical supplies (bandaids for knuckles, etc)
    small emergency repair kit with bailing wire/zip ties/2 big plumber clamps
    for the girls I would add lip balm or something for wind chaff / dry lips

And on my person (and I'll have the girls carry as well) is a compass, my multi tool, and a whistle. My first aid kit also has t-3's for emergencies but I won't put that in the girl's kits.

Anyone have anything to add?

What's Santa bringing your hunting kids this year?

Thanks !
    Looks complete, as long as you've done your job of teaching them how to use the mentioned items

I've had the pleasure of hunting with women quite often. I would include a couple tampons in that kit.

Not only are they great if you need an absorbent compress, they will save a hunt if the girls need them for their original intended purpose.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I'd add a light weight Nor Mark skinning axe and a bone saw with a folding blade. I got my NM for Xmas years ago, they said they got it from The house of Knives down at the coast somewhere, I've never seen another one in any store around here? I've used both axe and saw on many many animals over the years, and I'm sure it'll last the next owner a long time also. One thing that can help out any hunter is a "Good" flashlight"! Or a good headlamp, my Grand Son and I bought a package of 2 thin, light weight flashlight's, I've never used a brighter light in my life, take a couple extra AA battery's with you and your good for the night! The name on it is just "Police Security". Well worth the cost. Let us know what you do put in the packs, and sure sounds like tomorrow morning's going to be great at your house! Merry Christmas!