Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BC NDP on Grizzly Bear Trophy Hunt Ban- Questions Answered

BC NDP on Grizzly Bear Trophy Hunt Ban- Questions Answered

BC NDP on Grizzly Bear Trophy Hunt Ban

The BC New Democrats recently released their position on the British Columbia Grizzly Bear hunt; a number of questions arose from our membership regarding that release.

Here are the BC New Democrat Party’s answers to questions about the details of their proposed ban submitted by the BCWF to John Horgan, Leader, New Democrat Official Opposition.

QUESTION: Under the new proposed policy would residents of B.C. have opportunity under the LEH system to continue to harvest Grizzly bears?

• Yes. This is not about being opposed to hunting. This is about being opposed to the grizzly bear trophy hunt and only the grizzly bear trophy hunt.

• B.C. hunters will continue to have the opportunity under the LEH system to harvest grizzly bear utilizing the entire bear. We will ensure we use science-based decisions to determine the numbers of LEH tags allowed in various areas. If there aren't enough bears there won’t be a hunt and vice versa.

QUESTION: Under the new proposed policy would non-residents of B.C. continue to have opportunity to harvest Grizzly bears?

• Yes. We are not proposing changes to any hunting regulations except as they relate to the grizzly bear trophy hunt.

• That said, the 2015 changes to allocations for resident/non-resident by the liberal government were wrong. We stood with hunters in 2015 when the government took away hunting rights from British Columbians to give more to foreign hunters. Resident hunters make a significant contribution to B.C.’s rural economy and way of life, hunting to feed their families with B.C. game and contribute to wildlife conservation activities.

BCWF: Under the new proposed policy would the NDP commit to manage the Grizzly bear harvest using the best available science?

• Yes. The government has been cutting boots on the ground and scientific research on wildlife for 15 years, so there’s considerable dispute about the actual animal population numbers. We agree with the BC Wildlife Federation who point out that a failure to adequately fund biodiversity conservation is one of the biggest challenges B.C. faces.

• We need funding for research into grizzly bear and other animal populations. Ministry staff needs stable and ongoing research funding to know if their population numbers are reliable. These concerns are reflected in the recent review of the grizzly bear management system released by MoF and FLNRO:

• Resources dedicated to grizzly bear harvest management are inadequate. Additional funding to improve population inventory, monitoring, data handling, and analysis is needed.

• Resources should be provided in a predictable manner to facilitate management needs and research requirements.

• The NDP tabled a bill last spring, the Sustainable Wildlife Management Act, to provide new and alternative funding, give wildlife and habitat a priority, and engage all hunting and wildlife groups to work collaboratively toward short and long term plans for fisheries, wildlife and habitat. The government rejected our bill.

http://bcndpcaucus.ca/news/new-democ...fish-wildlife/

https://www.facebook.com/BCWildlifeFederation

Twitter- @BCWildlife

2. Site Sponsor

Re: BC NDP on Grizzly Bear Trophy Hunt Ban- Questions Answered

This, seems contradictory to me as the point about non-residents being still allowed to hunt Grizzlies does not jibe with the "ban" on "trophy hunting" these bears.......what other type of hunting for them IS there for non-residents except a "trophy hunt"??????

I very strongly support FAR more restrictive policies on "non-resident alien" hunting and angling in BC as the available game and fish are not sufficient for we citizens. I want other CANADIANS to have opportunities here as in "accompanied" sheep hunts, rather than seeing rich Yankees killing OUR game.

I also DO NOT support mandatory meat removal for bears as this is nonsense.

I'll gladly donate my delicious grizzly meat to the provincial NDP convention, so that John Horgan and co. Can savour
    the fruits of their labour, while standing in their moral high ground. Bon Apetit!!!

Only a complete and total idiot would vote for the NDP to be the champion of hunters rights and science based conservation.

more reasearch...lol
    gov only been doing research for 15 years? realy? or does he mean only grizzly, its says all wildlife, confusing facts again?
    i dont buy any of that, side stepped alot of the crap hes already commented about

how do non res hunt them when they cant take the meat home to their country because of the gov`s own stupid paper work hustle and rules, to make money and deny you anyways.
    wheres the responce to leaving the fur/skull for even us? was said before that will be left in the bush and only remove meat.

I've been apply for grizz draws for the past few years. My question is (just Kidding) how does a guy get one of these trophy hunt tags, are the bears in these areas that much better

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Chaser View Post
    Only a complete and total idiot would vote for the NDP to be the champion of hunters rights and science based conservation.
    Absolutely correct. The NDP will betray BC hunters once elected, guaranteed.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    how do non res hunt them when they cant take the meat home to their country because of the gov`s own stupid paper work hustle and rules, to make money and deny you anyways.
    wheres the responce to leaving the fur/skull for even us? was said before that will be left in the bush and only remove meat.
    That is exactly the point. This way they look like they are trying to work with us, but they are removing opportunities for hunters. "Of course you can hunt a grizz, but you have to take out the meat. Oh? You can't take the meat home? Guess you can't hunt then can you......"

he keeps talking they will use science based facts...but he isnt doing that now, what makes anyone think he will use real facts once ellected, i dont see him use the science now to say their is an issue and it needs to stop. hes repeated the antihunter info and they dont have anything to back that, they cant even back the so called 90% of cdn want grizzly shut down..ive yet to see that stat published or where it came from even, but yet people buy it, and have for years...same stat to. resold each year like its new...lol

and again. we have nobody that will expose all the lies from our side lol