Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ontario & New York whitetail hunts

Re: Ontario & New York whitetail hunts

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    I find it amazing that our countries most populous province has the hunting opportunity it has.
    I often look at hunt camps for sale online, tempting. Hunters in the west don't seem to be as concerned about tradition as it relates to hunting.

I'm curious what you mean by being "concerned about tradition"?
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I just don't find hunters here worry as much about an established group or camp that has a history.
    Our white tail camp has 30 years this year, there is only 2 of us left from the original group. We now have sons and nephews coming.
    Hopefully some grandsons next year.
    Unfortunately I think that is a rarity nowadays.

I just don't find hunters here worry as much about an established group or camp that has a history.
    Our white tail camp has 30 years this year, there is only 2 of us left from the original group. We now have sons and nephews coming.
    Gotcha. I don't understand the unfortunate part of it though, do you think that the hunting tradition isn't being passed down?
    I'm no looking for an argument, I'm just not clear on the advantage, or...better-ness, of the scenario you describe?
    I think most people hunt with the same couple partners most of the time, as far as specific camps, are talking about a cabin on crown land, or just the same clearing off branch xyz that you set up a wall tent in from November 1-7th every year? I know quite a few parties from this area who hunt the same areas annually with their families.
    I think one of the great parts about hunting BC is that we have so many varied opportunities that we don't need to feel contained to one area year after year. That said, I hunt the same side of a lake, and have for the past 3 years, with solid success, and don't plan to go elsewhere for island hunts.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Our group has changed locations over the years, but the core group is still hanging on.
    I think it is unfortunate that a lot of hunters will never get to experience what we have.
    I was talking to a you friend the other day, he has hunted for a dozen years and never been part of a hunting camp.
    I don't think it matters if its a tent camp or a 24 foot trailer, if it's year two or forty-two.
    For me a big part of hunting is tradition.
    Maybe this would be an interesting thread on it's own.
    I don't want to sideswipe the OPs thread.

Public land in Southern Ontario (anywhere south of North Bay really) tends to get hunted hard. Traditionally, groups had established their "area" and there was a "gentlemen's agreement" to avoid the "areas' of other groups . By the letter of the law Crown land is obviously open to anyone and there was/is no legal basis for it. But in reality it worked pretty well to ensure a safe hunt for everyone concerned.

You guys in BC have no idea how good you have it with your multi species opportunities and vast amounts of public land. I've spent a tonne of time in BC paddling, climbing, skiing, etc. and seen just how much land is available to the public user. I hope that never changes.

If my job (high school teacher) wasn't essentially impossible to replicate currently in BC (there are basically no teaching jobs anywhere in Canada in areas you would actually want to work due primarily to declining school enrollments), I would move. But, halfway through a teaching career here in Ontario it would be a massive gamble to give up my secure current position (and I actually live in an area with very good hunting/fishing/outdoors opportunities by Ontario standards) and attempt to find a position in BC. I would be starting "from the bottom" and have zero job security even if I could find a job.

I hunt the same land I hunted with my Grandfather, my Father, my uncles, my brother and now our sons. Every year we have rituals and traditions that we follow. We are always introducing someone new to the hunt and the experiences around a life with wildlife. I think there is lots of tradition in BC hunters lives.

Great to read and see your fall experience! That spike buck has quite a body on him. That's what I'd call trophy table-fare.

My wife and I are moving to Quebec next August, for a year and half stint, and I've been doing a bit of research into hunting New York state. Quebec's non-resident fees just seem too high, and I don't think I'll have enough months under my belt to be a resident. I may end up counting my days out of BC carefully, and flying back here to hopefully knock off a muley or two.

Regardless, I'm trying to learn what I can about whitetail east of the rockies - New York specifically.. I am thinking the "five ponds" area of Adirondack park, but that is basically just me putting my finger on the map randomly.

I also enjoyed seeing your photos from Nepal. I've been a couple times, and will hopefully be a couple times more.

I used to live in Quebec's Eastern Townships and hunted Vermont. I don't know if you've heard of Vermont's Larry Benoit, but he's quite the WT hunting legend back East. He's written a few books on Vermont deer hunting...

Great adventures and pics! Thanks for sharing