Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spotting scope advice...

Re: spotting scope advice...

Thought I would add, I just got the 16-48 razor and thought I would get rid of the 11-33 but as per last sentence in your post I decided to keep it because it is just so darned lightweight and compact and lets face it you just don't need a big spotter for many deer hunting scenarios. I'd rather keep my pack lighter for packing out meat.

Both are great choices I would go with the 11-33 Razor for future use
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Are we talking counting tines or aging sheep?
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Please can there be more reviews and options seeing I'm in the same boat with decisions. Also which one would be ideal for age sheep and which power

No first hand experience with your two choices, but stared at a few growth rings out 3 different spotters in the 9-$1300 range. I'm packing a 12-40x leupold gold ring now and although it's 20x less on the top end than the leupold Kenai I flogged the 40x on the Gr is USABLE under all conditions. In my experience aging sheep without a top 3 spotter, I'm looking for potential Rams to hike to for a closer look. Target range for closer inspection is inside 500yds, and clear 40x is plenty in favourable conditions. Heat/mirage is common vs sheep, leaving higher mag useless on lower quality optics. Maybe Swarovski isn't as bad?
    Not sure if that helps, but as stated go for quality over magnification imo
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I'm using a 16-48 Razor HD and feel it's good glass for the money. A good tripod as suggested is an important piece to make viewing enjoyable instead of frustrating.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.