Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spotting scope advice...

spotting scope advice...

Grabing a spotting scope in the next month...
    going to school full time so i will be a poor student but i NEED to grab a spotter before i go to school, becaue when im out it will be hunting season...

no lectures please on save a few more bucks and get this and that yada yada yada
    bottom line is i got 1000 to spend on a spotter... this spotter will be used for 2-3 seasons untill i buy a swaro..

option 1 : vortex viper HD 15-45 x65mm

option 2: vortex razor compact 11-33 x 50mm

do i go with the better glass and less magnification? but better quality image?

another option is the leupold gold ring compact 50mm.... any feedback if you have used these..

thanks...

im thinking the razor compact will suit my needs and i can use it after i buy a swaro as a lightweight spotter to throw in my pack for deer hunting... vs buying a viper and flogging it for cheap after a couple years...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: spotting scope advice...

I have a Vortex viper HD, 20-60x. I have no complaints until I look through my buddies swaro's...haha. I think it's good glass for the cash.
    KCCO

Consider this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._2_0_50mm.html

They have interchangeable eye pieces and are ultra-light.

so i will be a poor student but i NEED to grab a spotter before i go to school, becaue when im out it will be hunting season...
    I hope you're taking some English courses.

Economic theory might help you differentiate between "wants" and "needs".

Poverty in Canada results from choices. A prudent choice would be to refrain from frivolous expenses, preventing your impending poverty.
    Maybe you could let the wil
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    I hope you're taking some English courses.

Economic theory might help you differentiate between "wants" and "needs".

Poverty in Canada results from choices. A prudent choice would be to refrain from frivolous expenses, preventing your impending poverty.
    Maybe you could let the wil
    The range of advice offered on HBC is one of its hidden blessings.

I mean where else can you ask for advice on a spotter and end up with tips on your ability to utilize the English language and proper grammar? Along with financial wellness?

What a treat for you! I mean it is Xmas so it is nice to see people in the giving mood.

The latter bit of advice being a reasonable thing to offer to others, but probably not strangers. On a hunting forum. Who only asked about spotting scopes.

I say this tongue in cheek, mostly.

It is one of the things I've always found interesting on here. Often takes no more than 3-5 posts before we're miles from the original post.

Hell! Now I am making it worse...it is always the worst when you realize midway through a rant about a problem you are part of the problem.

PS. What the hell does your last sentence say? At this point, I assume it is some kind of code for irony?

so true
    re scope, ive been told often, quality over magnification.
    as to your three choices, and your down the road purchase, no. 2 makes sense to me.
    enjoy school, always good to have a "edge-a-mecation"

Mmmm I would take either, maybe go for the cheaper one and then spend the money on a good tripod. I think a good tripod is just as important. Crappy tripods make for a shitty scoping experience.
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

Surrey boy, what would the world be without you. Merry Christmas my pal. Thanks for the great advice and a happy new year to you and your family. Or you and your dog, what ever it is.

And thanks to all who have replied.

Merry christmas everyone.

If you're looking for a good spotting scope on budget take a look at a Bushnell Spacemaster II... They've been around for ages... Less than $300. Not really comparable glass (or warranty) to any of those you've mentioned, lol but if you're on a budget it's a good, tough little spotter that works just fine for most hunting situations until your circumstances change. Save the difference to put toward your Swaro.
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Grabing a spotting scope in the next month...
    going to school full time so i will be a poor student but i NEED to grab a spotter before i go to school, becaue when im out it will be hunting season...

no lectures please on save a few more bucks and get this and that yada yada yada
    bottom line is i got 1000 to spend on a spotter... this spotter will be used for 2-3 seasons untill i buy a swaro..

option 1 : vortex viper HD 15-45 x65mm

option 2: vortex razor compact 11-33 x 50mm

do i go with the better glass and less magnification? but better quality image?

another option is the leupold gold ring compact 50mm.... any feedback if you have used these..

thanks...

im thinking the razor compact will suit my needs and i can use it after i buy a swaro as a lightweight spotter to throw in my pack for deer hunting... vs buying a viper and flogging it for cheap after a couple years...
    I started out with that same viper a few years back, I think it was fair value for what you pay. But when it was cranked up to full power there was definitely a loss in clarity, as to be expected in cheaper spotters. So I sold it and bought the 11-33 razor and glad I did. Way smaller and lighter and clear all the way up to full power, in my opinion I could see just as much with the razor even though it was of lesser magnification. My experience was exactly what you suspected, better to have better clarity regardless of magnification.