Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: RACKS on PACKS ...horns too

Re: RACKS on PACKS ...horns too

Now that's a bull moose. Would love to see some more pics and know a little more about him
    A short story and a few more pictures.

I'm a Novice hunter and this is my first moose. This is actually the second tag I have ever cut.

I was up early and hiked in about 6km to where I could get a good vantage point to where I thought the moose might be. I had been hunting almost everyday, for weeks,with very little sign of moose. I was starting to get disheartened. I hadn't seen a bull since the start of the season. I had however, seen no fewer than 9 different grizzlies while hiking and glassing this particular area. I began to think there was a correlation. (but that's for a different discussion).
    I took off my pack and got comfortable. It was now fully daylight. I sat quietly for 20 minutes just looking at the landscape for any sign of a moose. Nothing, So I let out a call. Almost right away i saw a bull moose appear with my naked eye at 1300 yards. Finally, some action! (He was probably thinking the same thing). a bit of patience (HBC pro-tip), and a bit more calling, and he was headed my way.

I quickly scrambled across a long, steep, 50 metre deep ravine that was between us and i set up under a tree where I would watch him come. He got closer, rocking his head back and forth as he walked with a swagger. Closer, his grunts and clicks now audible. Closer, I could see his breath in the cool crisp air. Closer, I could see the whites of his eyes as he suddenly stopped in his tracks and looked at me. 15 Yards. BOOM! He spun like a top and had no intention of sicking around. Boom! I shoot again cause you don't stop shooting until he goes down (HBC pro-tip). He crashes through some alders and goes down. He could not have taken more than 4-5 steps.

I cannot believe that just happened.

Now what? I'm by myself, I barely know what I'm doing, I'm Kilometers from the nearest road. And oh yeah, did i mention there are grizzlies around. Luckily I have an inreach. I message my wife and ask her to send our neighbor (non hunter) with a shotgun to watch-out for bears will do my best to process the animal. in record time, my wife, packing our 6 month old baby, is leading two burly men with shotguns to my location. She was determined not to let me get eaten by a bear and would have had a shotgun herself if the neighbor was not available. So i guess now it's a family affair.
    My neighbors are somewhat grossed out, but helped hold the hide, or a pull on a leg, as I cut around it. Hours go by and I finally have it all bagged and ready for packing out. Did anyone bring a backpack? no? Well it looks like I've still got a lot of work ahead of me.

over the next 2.5 days i make eight return trips with loads between 80-110lbs. I hang the meat for a week while I recover and then I cut and wrapped it myself which took me another 4 days.
    I learned a lot.
    And yes, I'd do it again. i have a freezer full of meat and it's some of the best wild meat I have ever eaten!

I don't think I'll ever forget the feeling of the adrenaline, and excitement i experienced that day. I wonder if i'll always have that feeling when I hunt or if it will become muted over time with each harvest.

Oh, and I used another HBC pro-tip to hang moose piss from a tampon in a nearby branch, which may have helped draw the moose that close.
    Thanks HBCers

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Wicked pics guys...unfortunately for me I don't have any pics of animals harvested actually on my pack..
    selfy time Harry

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by brn2ryd View Post
    A short story and a few more pictures.

I'm a Novice hunter and this is my first moose. This is actually the second tag I have ever cut.

I was up early and hiked in about 6km to where I could get a good vantage point to where I thought the moose might be. I had been hunting almost everyday, for weeks,with very little sign of moose. I was starting to get disheartened. I hadn't seen a bull since the start of the season. I had however, seen no fewer than 9 different grizzlies while hiking and glassing this particular area. I began to think there was a correlation. (but that's for a different discussion).
    I took off my pack and got comfortable. It was now fully daylight. I sat quietly for 20 minutes just looking at the landscape for any sign of a moose. Nothing, So I let out a call. Almost right away i saw a bull moose appear with my naked eye at 1300 yards. Finally, some action! (He was probably thinking the same thing). a bit of patience (HBC pro-tip), and a bit more calling, and he was headed my way.

I quickly scrambled across a long, steep, 50 metre deep ravine that was between us and i set up under a tree where I would watch him come. He got closer, rocking his head back and forth as he walked with a swagger. Closer, his grunts and clicks now audible. Closer, I could see his breath in the cool crisp air. Closer, I could see the whites of his eyes as he suddenly stopped in his tracks and looked at me. 15 Yards. BOOM! He spun like a top and had no intention of sicking around. Boom! I shoot again cause you don't stop shooting until he goes down (HBC pro-tip). He crashes through some alders and goes down. He could not have taken more than 4-5 steps.

I cannot believe that just happened.

Now what? I'm by myself, I barely know what I'm doing, I'm Kilometers from the nearest road. And oh yeah, did i mention there are grizzlies around. Luckily I have an inreach. I message my wife and ask her to send our neighbor (non hunter) with a shotgun to watch-out for bears will do my best to process the animal. in record time, my wife, packing our 6 month old baby, is leading two burly men with shotguns to my location. She was determined not to let me get eaten by a bear and would have had a shotgun herself if the neighbor was not available. So i guess now it's a family affair.
    My neighbors are somewhat grossed out, but helped hold the hide, or a pull on a leg, as I cut around it. Hours go by and I finally have it all bagged and ready for packing out. Did anyone bring a backpack? no? Well it looks like I've still got a lot of work ahead of me.

over the next 2.5 days i make eight return trips with loads between 80-110lbs. I hang the meat for a week while I recover and then I cut and wrapped it myself which took me another 4 days.
    I learned a lot.
    And yes, I'd do it again. i have a freezer full of meat and it's some of the best wild meat I have ever eaten!

I don't think I'll ever forget the feeling of the adrenaline, and excitement i experienced that day. I wonder if i'll always have that feeling when I hunt or if it will become muted over time with each harvest.

Oh, and I used another HBC pro-tip to hang moose piss from a tampon in a nearby branch, which may have helped draw the moose that close.
    Thanks HBCers

Awesome pics!
    Would be a great addition to the ‘Before and After’ thread
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Brn2ryd. Great story to the pictures of your bull moose ! What did that bull measure in width ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Measures ~64” +/- depending on level of humility.

Waaaaayyyyy back when when this was my pack out (re-created at home)

^^^lol that is awesome ..

Quote Originally Posted by brn2ryd View Post
    Measures ~64” +/- depending on level of humility.
    WOW !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Bumping this thread....cabin fever in the snow here and waiting patiently for the snow to melt!
    Anyone have any more to throw up??