Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: who built your custom light weight rifle?

who built your custom light weight rifle?

Just that.... looking for a good custom rifle for my sheep hunting adventures. Who built yours and what have you got???

2. Site Sponsor

Re: who built your custom light weight rifle?

Bill Leeper built my 700 Ti in 270 - 08 and I am really happy with it.
    It started life as a 260 but the barrel was bad hence the 270 - 08.
    Now it is a 6 lb. 4 oz. tackdriver with a 3x9 Leupold..
    Lord, Please help me to become half the man my Dog thinks I am..

I have a couple custom light wieghts, both rem 700 ti's. I did one and Dave Jennings did one. They are both amazing.

Having said that ... save yourself some money, if your starting from scratch... buy a kimber mountain accent
    JOIN US AT CRSPORTFISHING.CA

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I've had Gary Flach build two rifles so far and he's building two more as we speak, can't say enough about his work, it's excellent, maybe even better than that he's fast, GEF on HBC.ca

1st one he built me was a Weatherby Mark V ULW 280AI, put a fluted #3 contour Benchmark barrel on it, its a litttle heavier than I wanted but it shoots 1/2 inch groups with factory nosler 140gr accubonds.

2nd one was for my Nephew, a Rem 700 SS 280AI, McMillan Stock,#1 contour Benchmark Barrel, Timney Calvin Elite trigger, amazingly accurate

Hes building me an ultralight 280 AI on a Husky 5000 action, Benchmark barrel, Timney Trigger and a wildcat stock, hoping to use it on my fly in sheep hunt in 2017

He's also building an ultralight sheep hunting rifle, 7mm-08 on a Kimber action, Benchmark Barrel, should be an awesome rig when done.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 12-15-2016 at 03:31 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I've had a few custom rifles built, but no ultralights. I wouldn't bother, as it's an expensive slippery slope chasing the ounces. If I wanted a flyweight rifle I'd pick up a Kimber (Montana, Mtn Ascent, Adirondack) or find a Tikka t3 SuperLite and drop it in a McMillan Edge for a 5lb9oz (bare rifle)
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Not customs, but I have 2 Howa Alpines, one in 6.5 Creedmoor and one in 308. Both with Talleys and Minox variables. Both drive tacks and weigh 6.5 lbs scoped.

Thanks to my Dads ( Kevan) gunsafe population control program, my kids and I have a couple of dandy lightweight rifles.

Greg from rocky mountain rifles built mine. Started as a remington model 7. After major machining custom barrel and a lone wolf stock bare gun comes in right around 4 lbs and with talley rings and 4.5-14 leupold 5.25lbs. Shoots better than I can and is a dream to pack

Sorry for a dumb question..what is the real world difference between a custom rifle... $5,000 or more..and Sako 85 with 5 shot 1" or less guarantee..for $1900.....
    Shot some amazing rifles..one at Jennings lake outfitters..guy..billionaire. .had what he said was $10,000 custom rifle similar to Christian arms..and a $12000 scope..shot well..but just marginally better than my $2,000 Sako.. $700 Leopold. ..
    Each persons budget...space in rifle safe..but real world advantages...
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Sorry for a dumb question..what is the real world difference between a custom rifle... $5,000 or more..and Sako 85 with 5 shot 1" or less guarantee..for $1900.....
    Shot some amazing rifles..one at Jennings lake outfitters..guy..billionaire. .had what he said was $10,000 custom rifle similar to Christian arms..and a $12000 scope..shot well..but just marginally better than my $2,000 Sako.. $700 Leopold. ..
    Srupp
    A fool and his money .........
    Reminds me of a big time hunter I meet a few years back that went out of his way to shave a extra oz or 2 from his rifle or back pack gear but had a 2lb+ big time rodeo belt buckle that he wore when sheep hunting . Sure you know of a few of them too.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Srupp
    Well, any of those mentioned are beyond my affordability whether it be the $ 5000 gun or even the $ 1900 Sako.
    My goal was to have a comfortable, lightweight and accurate rifle that would suffice for a Sheep hunt ( I should be so lucky ! ) and also be a good all around hunting rifle.
    Of course not being wealthy this had to be done on a budget which worked very well for me.
    And if a Sheep hunting opportunity presented itself all other weight saving options would be considered including going commando.... LOL !
    Lord, Please help me to become half the man my Dog thinks I am..