Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Late Archery Season

Cool 2016 Late Archery Season

HiYa Folks,

Well my rather lengthy hunting season has finally come to an end. Been far to busy to even contemplate writing up any of the hunt reports, that hunting thing simply takes over my mind through the entire season. Now that is wrapped up I can finally get to penning a few of our adventures, starting with the latest one first...

The usual disclaimer here: My tales are often somewhat lengthy. Recognize this one will be the same. The pictures will be interspersed here and there for those without the patience or interest to read the full report...

As some may recall, I missed last year's late archery season over in the Okanagan due to circumstances beyond my control. That represented a first since I started hunting that area with my Partner, and left me downright miserable as a consequence.
    Decided right then I would NOT allow that to happen again if I could possibly help it! So it was that I found myself gearing up to return to these hunting grounds this year with great anticipation!

My Partner had to work right up to Friday of the week I'd be arriving, so I decided to land at a mutual Buddy's place to rekindle that friendship over some fine rum on Tuesday. That decided, I was off, and as many of my reports start off, this one does as well with the rig waiting in the ferry line-up:

This was a "relaxing run" compared to most, as I had planned my arrival for around 5:30 pm. So, being a little short on my favorite broadheads I stopped off at Wholesale Sports before hitting the big boat. Unfortunately they were all sold out of the broadheads themselves, but fortunately they did have the replacement blade kits on hand - and On Sale!
    As I was packing a fair number of broadheads that had passed through some form of critter or another, I happily snapped these up. If I got down to it, this would give me eight or ten warheads in the weapons chest - more than enough for the task at hand I thought.

Met up with my Buddy in Vancouver, and another who I was able to provide transport for a new-to-him pontoon boat from the Island. There ensued a great conversation, and the rum did flow somewhat smoothly. Not surprising as it was over 25 years old, and a rather fantastic vintage!

Decided before getting too happy I'd better get to rebuilding a broadhead or two, as I didn't really want to slice a thumb or finger off!

Tricky little buggers, needed "peepers" to get the job done, but I persevered and had more in hand when finished than I deemed necessary. The balance of the night was spent reminiscing old times, and planning more adventures into the future...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Arrow Re: 2016 Late Archery Season

The next morning I was up and off a little later than expected LOL!
    Finally climbed back into the saddle a little after 10:00 am, and although I had entertained the idea of a little hunting along my way, decided to forgo that exercise for the day. The roads were a little slick, but overall in pretty fine winter driving conditions. The weatherman was calling for some serious snow, then cold, but fortunately not scheduled until after my arrival. Could not work out better was my thinking...

Arrived in K-Town to a warm greeting from my Hunting Partner, and we chatted perhaps a bit too late of past hunts, and what this year might possibly bring. Tad asked specifically what I was looking for this time around. Having already tagged a Blacktail on the Island, I was down to two usable deer tags for BC. But of course I picked up 2 whitetail tags (just in case) in addition to the Mulie / Blacktail tag I was already packing.

As my Partner had to work the next day, I had already planned on going into one of our more productive areas for Mulies solo. Although I had already taken an overly large Mulie in Alberta, I still find them a lot of fun to hunt. That and of course the season on them ends much earlier than the whitetails suggested it would be prudent to focus on them first.

Plans made, I slept but little as visions of Mulie Monsters haunted my dreams.
    Awaking with a Bound, I was up, dressed and off in a matter of minutes Anticipation running HIGH for the oncoming day...

The road was again fine as I wandered off to the the mountain so many mulies have wintered on for such a long period of time. Not a lot of snow upon arrival, but enough that I should be able to identify tracks and just how fresh they might be. So it was I began the slow dissection of the mountainside - traveling from spot to spot in 4x4, then proofing the area on foot. Beautiful country, and quite different from anything on the Island:

Unfortunately the snow was a few days old, and quite crunchy in the cold of this day. Made it very tricky to move around with any stealth whatsoever. As the day unfolded though, it became increasingly apparent that negative factor mattered but little. All the sign I saw was a matter of near a week old, with only 2 sets of tracks that might have been laid down within the past 48 hours located. Despite my best efforts, I did not find any fresher sign, nor did I see even a single mule deer. A very frustrating first for that area!

Thus it was I found myself wondering just what the hell had happened to the deer in that area as I wandered back to civilization. They have up to now always had a very strong presence on those particular hillsides, and my Partner had seen multiple shooter bucks there just a week previous. We discussed this over a fine dinner that evening, and made the decision to give the area one more try, together, at first light...

End of Day One...

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Thumbs up Re: 2016 Late Archery Season

Another near sleepless night passed slowly, and again I literally sprang from the bed. The anticipation had regrown, and I felt that with my Partner of old at my side, we would perhaps realize a different outcome than I had the day previous...

The run to the area in the dark passed without incident, as we discussed our approach and tactics for the morning...
    Although I had well covered the area the previous day, we encountered a family group of does and fawns almost immediately upon arrival. A slow and careful check concluded there we none of The Boys hanging around this crew, but the sighting gave rise to our spirits, and we wandered on in search of more...

Over the course of the early morning we encountered a single doe (rather strange in that area) and another family group. A couple sets of tracks suggested there might be a few more around, but no sign of any bucks could we confirm. Strange to me was the fact these encounters were very high up the mountain, in the greatest concentrations of snow to be found. Would have thought they would have been wandering downhill by now...

By late morning we had covered the vast majority of these grounds, and with little in the way of sign & sightings, made the decision to wander off to a completely different area in search of whitetails. That required a run of a couple of hours, but would leave us plenty of time to scout the target area, and that at the best time of the day! Onward!!

On our way the forecasted snow began to fall. Not heavy, but fine dust like flakes. We knew it would get worse, but carried on regardless. A couple hours of driving and we found ourselves nearing one of our whitetail spots...

In this area we have several blocks of private ground that we have permission on that is surrounded by somewhat higher crown (forest) lands. As we wandered by one of the properties, we were both quite startled to see over 20 whitetails feeding right out in the open on one of the areas the owner had given us his blessing to bow hunt. We immediately sought cover and set up the long range optics. Four bucks, one who's body was the largest of any in the field, but none with significant headgear. 22 does and bambis. Feeding perhaps 100 yards from the nearest cover. Ah but the fresh snow had made movement fairly quiet, and the white camo seemed well suited to the occasion...

Think you should make a try for that 3 point my Partner suggested.
    Man, to far from the timber even if I manage to get adjacent to them, I replied
    Never know unless you go he said with a grin.
    Alrighty then...

The stalk was quiet, and slow. Time, as it almost always does for me in these instances, seemed to slow perceptibly. It felt like hours slinking along well inside the timber before I decided to take a look. At once I realized I was already directly adjacent to the feeding herd! And at once one of the older does felt something was not right. Her head up an swiveling, her ears turning rapidly, she sniffed the air hard in all directions. This made most of the herd rather nervous, and 3/4 of them joined her in this display within moments. Bow ready, I set up and hoped they would approach the timber within range. The wind in my favor I waited hunkered down out of their sight. Suddenly the herd broke, and began making their move to the timber, aiming at a spot perhaps 80 or 90 yards from me. Damn!!

The buck I was hoping for lingered well behind the herd, and was staring off in another direction entirely. Hmmm...
    He then turned, and began to follow the herd, but in a tangent, closer to me than the others. I ranged him constantly and secretly willed him to stop...
    Just as he reached a range I was comfortable with, a BLEAT called out from behind me a short ways. The Buck immediately stopped, and turned that direction. Bow up, centered, and the Big John Custom Arrow was on it's way! The Fiery Luminok told the story. Direct Hit! The buck spun, took 10 wobbly steps, then a small jump landing on his back. A few kicks and it was all over! Awesome!! Whitetail Buck DOWN!

This was one of the trickier shots I have pulled off. 3/4 facing me at maximum range, the broadhead hit just below his throat patch, severing both carotid arteries and the windpipe before diving through the chest and exiting behind the opposite shoulder. He made it less than 18 yards!!

The bleat was my Partner who had not only convinced me to make this try, but sneak along behind me to offer up a call at just exactly the right moment! Worth his weight in Gold that Fine Fellow!!

We cleaned the buck up, loaded him and set out in search of more. Although we did sight many more whitetails over the course of the evening, none presented themselves in a position to offer any opportunities. But we felt great about how the day unfolded, and set off in to the dark to make our run home. Along the way the snow increased with a vengeance, first becoming HUGE flakes, then with such increasing intensity that visibility was down to less than 40 yards. Plugging along in 4 wheel drive, we were passed by several idjuts literally flying under those conditions!
    Thus it came as little surprise when we saw a few of them off the road as we wandered along...

Thankful to make it home safe and sound, we celebrated our victory with a nice supper and a fine red wine. Then it was off to bed to rest up for the next run...

End Day Two...

Guess he got to Know me

That night I finally slept like a Rock! Nothing like a little success to ease that along it seems, and when I woke, it felt as though I had laid down but moments ago.

Although we had seen many other whitetails in the previous afternoon's area, we decided to make a play at a totally different one this day. The new area at times offers up both whitetails and mulies. So, as this was the final day of mulie bow season, the choice was made, and we set off towards an area well removed from the previous day's activities.

The snows overnight had been HEAVY and the roads were downright TREACHEROUS!
    Damn good thing we had decided to get up more than an hour early to set out, as we barely crawled along almost every inch of the way! And once again we witnessed the carnage that inattention or careless driving under these conditions can wreck! Many had hit the toolies overnight, and many were apparent write-offs!

Arriving into our area it was quite refreshing to see that none had visiting in a considerably long period of time. Even the old snow was "virgin" indicating the last set of visitors here had been before even that fall of the white! Good News!

In this spot, we have a series of vantage points we like to travel to, set up and try to spot the quarry. The first such location yielded two family groups of whitetail does and bambis, but no apparent bucks (for my Partner) nor dry does (for me). Thus the decision was made to wander over to the adjacent mulie area for a boo to see what we might turn up there.

To our surprise, there was pretty well no sign of the mulies here either?? Very odd! We expanded the search however, and soon found a few of the Gals and their wee ones:

Completely unconcerned by our presence many simply remained bedded as we wandered by. Seems they know how to read the Regs as well as we do and well understand they are not open for harvest!

After a couple of hours we determined that if there were any bucks about, they were well in hiding. So back we wandered towards the whitetail areas. Along the way, a single spike jumped the trail about 200 yards off in front of us. My Partner bailed with bow in hand, and set off in Predator Mode. I sat very quietly off the trail and gazed at the direction he had disappeared in. Perhaps 20 minutes went by when I heard his characteristic low whistle come to me...

I set off moving slowly until I could make out his distant form. Upon seeing me he offered a grin and Thumbs Up! Promising...
    When I got to him he suggested his shot felt true, and we should only wait perhaps a few more minutes before investigating.

When we eventually did sneak in for a look, there was a blood trail a blind man could follow. Ain't Far I remember thinking. And man was that ever right!! The little fellow had made little more than 30 yards!! Buck number two of the trip DOWN!

Now That There will be the best eating animal I take all year my Partner said with a grin!
    aYup! They don't come any finer than that!
    The extraction was short & easy, as it was all downhill. After the buck cooled, we loaded him up, and set off towards another close area. As the afternoon waned into evening, we ran across a couple rifle elk hunters who simply nodded as they passed. One other fellow had wandered through the area earlier, but it is vast, and we never encountered either party again.

We did have several more sightings, including one of THE Largest whitetail bucks I have ever seen in BC. Much more reminiscent of an Alberta buck, he was heavy, very wide & tall and sported 5 per side not including the lengthy brows. I put him into the high 170's B&C. Extremely FINE Buck! He was however onto us at 175 yards, and while nonchalant about the encounter, it was more than obvious he didn't get so old & big letting pointy stick hunters such as ourselves within range!! Still extremely enjoyable to see one of the local Monarchs!

By the time evening fell, we had seen well over 35 deer. Several more stalks were attempted, but as is often the case when bow hunting, none realized any further success. Still, as we rode homewards, the grins echoed the satisfying glow of a day well spent, and some success to go hand in hand with that!

The roll home was even worse than the morning had been. Snow literally pounding down once again, and traffic was crawling along at a snail's pace. It took seemingly forever to reach town, and we were both extremely tired when we did so.
    Nonetheless we managed to stay up long enough for a fine dinner of liver from the buck I had taken the day previous, along with the trimmings and another fine red.

Bed never felt so good when I finally and literally fell into it!!

End Day Three...
    Last edited by IronNoggin; 12-15-2016 at 03:54 PM.

Guess he got to Know me

Morning came easy for me this time. This was my final scheduled day, and the anticipation of spending my last hours of the 2016 season with my bow in hand and an excellent Partner beside me had me moving early...

Recognizing the mulie season was now closed, we made the decision to wander back to the closer area where I had taken the buck a couple days back. Off we went, once again into damn near blinding snow!
    MAN! This crap ever going to end!
    Yeah, come April... maybe was my smart-assed Partner's reply.

Upon arrival it was obvious that although we had done so at the ideal time, the weather had the animals in hiding. Spot after spot after spot yielded but the odd fleeting glimpse of our elusive quarry. We stuck with it of course, but my heart felt that something was amiss, and we might not realize another opportunity...

Here's a quick shot of the river, taken just as the snow started to wane and which somewhat indicates the new snow levels in the area:

As the day waned on,suddenly the deer decided to make their presence known. Moving out to feed early just as the snow finally abated. Spot after spot that had previously been vacant now yielded sightings, and while most were not in areas conducive to a successful stalk, the sheer numbers began to become startling! One thing that we both noticed was that the number of bucks was quite a bit higher than previous years. In fact they seemed to be damn near 40% of the herd at times!

We also saw another BC Giant. Not quite as impressive as the fellow we saw at Rock Creek, he was however barely shy of that! Again another large 5 point with great mass and lengths! And feeding right smack in the middle of a large opening offering zero cover for an approach. Didn't much matter anyway, as we had both already cancelled our buck tags for that region.

After a few unsuccessful forays, we saw a group of 4 large does dragging 3 bambis along. One of them is obviously dry I suggested. Yup.
    The area they were in offered a possible way to approach along an adjacent valley & ridge, so I geared up and went off in pursuit. The herd was about 200 yards off when I started, so it took a spell to cover that ground. As I ghosted along, I offered Thanks to the Goddess of The Hunt for an extremely fine Season, and secretly hoped for success in my current undertaking...

When I had closed to perhaps 80 or 90 yards (out of sight) I was beginning to get THAT feeling. They must be close. Going to have to slow down and do this right!
    Suddenly a funny noise from my right left quarter. HUH? I turned just my head ever so slowly and there, at 20 yards, stood a massive doe staring me down! Now where the hell did you come from? Guess we were both simply cruising along and managed to meet that fork in the trail at the same moment. A quick scan with nothing but my eyes suggested no bambi or other deer were close. Probably Dry I thought. Slowly my bow came up and within milliseconds another Big John missile was on it's way. She was so close I not only saw the pass through, but the jet of blood that erupted from her chest upon the hit! WOW!

She erupted in a flurry of snow, and ran HARD towards the river below. Please don't let her run blindly into that water, I will never see her again if she does. Blinded by the dense forest the direction she had gone, I hunkered down and waited for 15 minutes. The blood trail against the white snow was very easy to follow. At one point she launched off a 10 foot cut bank, and I was very surprised not to find her at her landing spot! At the river she had thankfully turned hard left, and made it to about 10 feet shy of a distant fence-line before collapsing. Despite a double lung pass through, she had managed a 65 yard death run. Amazing when the holes in her lungs were the size of those produced by shotgun slugs!! This is how she lay when I walked up on her:

Big, Dry and Fat she will be a most welcome addition to this winter's larder!
    Due to the fenceline, extraction was much easier than back-trailing her path to where she fell. It was a much more gradual slope with no cutbanks whatsoever to deal with!

We spent the remainder of the day trying to get my Partner his doe, but despite several more stalks found ourselves unsuccessful in that pursuit when darkness enveloped us. Thankfully the snows stayed away for the ride home, and we made it back faster than any day previous.

Dinner was animated by the glow of success, and many a plan for the upcoming salmon/halibut season were laid. Again I hit the rack with an overly contented feeling, proud of the most excellent season behind me, and extremely grateful for the opportunities I had enjoyed this year...

End Day Four - My Final Hunting Day of 2016

Guess he got to Know me

Re: 2016 Late Archery Season

Do keep it coming good man

Ha, your last two entries were posted while I was typing. You did keep it coming, nice.
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

Cool Re: 2016 Late Archery Season

Dreading the thought of the next day's drive, I struggled to maintain any semblance of sleep. The Connector, and the Highway From Hell had not had enough time since the snows had stopped to be properly cleared, and my fears of past years running under such circumstances had me quite apprehensive.

So it was that I rose early, and puttered about collecting things and packing the truck.
    At first light I bid my Partner a fond farewell, and set off in four wheel drive for the exit leading to the Connector. Fears soon realized, the truck was to stay in 4x4 the 6 hours it took to trundle down to Hope. Along the way I did manage to encounter one section of road that was in decent shape:

In fact not much snow covered the curling rink surface of ice below it in this spot! Sweet!
    Most of the rest was in FAR worse shape, and my knuckles were white for the entire run as a consequence! Again, many nutbars moving far beyond reasonable speeds, and again, many who paid the price by shooting off the road.

Never so damn Happy to hit the over-priced ferry, I slept the tension away on the paddle across. Arriving home well into dark I was startled to see the amount of snow there! Port too had seen some of the white stuff, in fact almost 18 inches in our gauge in the back yard! Impressive!

My Lady and I enjoyed a wonderful homecoming and a fine dinner before hitting the rack early. With the forecast of dropping below minus 10 in the immediate future, I simply knew I had to deal with the deer early the next day before they froze.

The day after returning was spent hanging, skinning and re-hanging the deer in the shed. To skin them I ran the pulleys off our back balcony to make the process somewhat easier. One of the neighbors wandered by, offered Congrats, and said "Heard you were a bit of a Redneck, guess that's the way it is eh?"

I guess so...

I am always amazed at the damage those Spitfire Broadheads do. Had to take a picture of the exit wound on that tender buck:

Yep - damn near shotgun slug size!!

Here he is awaiting the move to the shed:

Going to be Superb Eating, as will the Dry Doe that wandered home with him!

Overall a Very Fun & Eventful Season!
    Many Many THANKS to the powers-that-be for allowing me that!
    And here's hoping for the best for the next one!!

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Great story Nog, thanks for sharing. I always enjoy your hunts.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Great stuff! Congrats to a fellow Islander! Agree 100% with your comments re: people not driving according to the road conditions! Pick up trucks tend to suck in those conditions too.... I'm in the process of upgrading tires (and emptying wallet) for that very reason as we speak!