Thread: Long time, First time.

Long time, First time.

Hey all,

As many of you probably first started, I've been reading the HBC forum for a few months soaking up all the information (and getting my popcorn out for when the juicy drama starts) and decided it was time to make the jump. I just recently got my PAL sent to me (only took 5 1/2 weeks for the application to be completed) and am relatively new to hunting.

I love camping, hiking, fishing and the outdoors in general so my goal is to train this off season and gather the gear and knowledge to be able to go on backcountry hunting trips. My plan is basically to train for hunting so that I can get further than most people will be willing or wanting to go to stay clear of hunting pressure and increase my chances of harvesting an animal. I've been doing a lot of research into how to scout properly (both online and in person), am going to the range to work on my accuracy and am overall really excited to be getting into hunting! Unfortunately, my friends who hunt do not live in BC so at the moment i'm planning to hunt solo but my hope is to find a compatible hunting partner who has similar goals and drive that I have. From what I am hearing and read, finding a solid hunting partner is one of the most important and toughest things to find so i'm hoping to find someone but not holding my breathe.

Look forward to learning more and in the future, paying it forward to others who are new and looking for help

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Long time, First time.

welcome good luck next season. Heres a tip-go spring bear hunting, because you can scout lots of nice territory for the fall, see lots of animals, and you are hunting at the same time!

Welcome and best of luck in your future hunting adventures.

You have a plan! Welcome to the hunting world.Enjoy your pursuit and be patient,you will get some game. Put in for leh moose,have a merry christmas. Nothing wrong with hunting solo,some of us old cranky buggers prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    welcome good luck next season. Heres a tip-go spring bear hunting, because you can scout lots of nice territory for the fall, see lots of animals, and you are hunting at the same time!
    X2, and if you take care of the meat properly, then it's a great way to put good meat in the freezer..good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    Make that x3. Getting to know the area you want to hunt is key, and spring bear is a great excuse to get out there, even if you're not interested in shooting a bear. Take your gun, do some shooting, even put a stalk on a bear just for fun, its all good practice. Learning how to use the available cover, pay attention to wind etc. And if you do shoot one, they are edible! I have actually come up with some very good bear meals recently and not that long ago I would have told you bear is only good for sauage. Great stew, awesome ham, crock pot roasts... Good stuff. But it does give me terrible farts!!! Curious what region you are in or plan to hunt and what your target species would be?
    JP

Hi there and welcome, fellow new hunter. That's great that you're starting off with so much research - I'm the same way.

If it helps, I've met a lot of fellow hunters through community events around the Lower Mainland/Vancouver via the EatWild community. I always connect with people better face to face, so reaching out IRL may yield positive results in terms of finding a hunting partner who suits your fancy. Where are you located?

Best of luck in the future!