Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sous Vide cooking.... Who does it?

Re: Sous Vide cooking.... Who does it?

I bought my mom a sous vide machine for Christmas. Important tip from personal experience: if you're planning on cooking something for longer than a few hours, do your research to see if you need to prevent the growth of lactobacillus. The kitchen smelled like rotting meat garbage for weeks!

How did I miss this thread??...right, HBC break around Christmas.

I have two Anovas and use them a lot. Bought them off the Kickstarter. If it weren't for my wife's general annoyance with me and my kitchen stuff, there'd be one on the counter all of the time. Have used various methods of sous viding before getting the Anovas (including just regulating temp on the stovetop, but that was super annoying, even with our induction range, and using a DorkFood DSV PID controller in an old slow cooker).

CSG is right re possibly mushing up tender cuts. Did a small venison roast for too long one day and it was a bit mushy.

Best short ribs I've ever made were 72 hour sous vide gems. Great creme brulee, excellent ice cream base, perfect for fish. Haven't really found a vegetable recipe that I like in here yet, though. Nothing that beats anything I've done stovetop or in the oven, at least.

Are you cooks using vacuum sealed bags in your cooking? They were talking about this type of cooking on the radio yesterday. Sounded really good and was thinking of trying it.

Sous-vide (/suːˈviːd/; French for ‘under vacuum’)[1] is a method of cooking in which food is sealed in a vacuum-sealed plastic pouch then placed in a water bath or in a temperature-controlled steam environment for longer than normal cooking times (usually 1 to 7 hours, up to 48 or more in some select cases) at an accurately regulated temperature much lower than normally used for cooking, typically around 55 to 60 °C (131 to 140 °F) for meat and higher for vegetables. The intent is to cook the item evenly, ensuring that the inside is properly cooked without overcooking the outside, and retain moisture.

http://www.vacuumsealerdigest.com/ho...-vide-cooking/

I use either ziplocs or bags sealed in the vacmaster. Just depends on the situation

What sous vide machines do you guys use? The more I research this method the more interested I am in trying it.

I own one of these ...

Awesome

A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

I have the same one as Mikey . Works awesome . Hands down the only way to cook duck breasts !!!

I have two of the Anova PC bluetooth only / non-wifi version (honestly, that whole wifi/bluetooth etc shit is pointless...turn it on to the expected temperature and let it ride).

I like the looks of the ChefSteps Joule but don't really need another one.

Foodsavers suck for vac sealing. Vacmaster chamber sealers are way better. Amazingly so, actually.

I've always had great results with a cast iron frying pan( pronounced "Frying Pan")! You see, I'm kind'a stuck on the idea of the sight's and sounds and the aroma of a "Hands On" type of cooking! You know, like your great great Grand Mother used to do every day to feed the family kind'a cooking! I very likely doubt any of you's has cracked a egg into a red hot cast iron pan filled with bacon you shoved to the side, and then yell and scream cuz the grease splattered up and burnt your arms! Or, better yet, after your steak is done to perfection, the kitchens filled with the smell of one dam fine meal you've just prepared for everyone, the second the steaks out of the hot pan, in go's a thick chunk of home made bread you rub all around the pan and get every little drop of "Dripp'ins"! Pure Culinary heaven! So ya, before I get too off topic and hungry here, Nope, don't got one of them Star Wars, beam up my food Scotty kind'a cookers here! Cast Iron and Meat, Can't be Beat! (just made that one up?)