Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sous Vide cooking.... Who does it?

Re: Sous Vide cooking.... Who does it?

I have definitely had a lot of overcooked food out of cast iron in my day. But cast iron is nice for searing the stuff that you Star Wars Beam Up first...best of both worlds!

Quote Originally Posted by M.Dean View Post
    I've always had great results with a cast iron frying pan( pronounced "Frying Pan")! You see, I'm kind'a stuck on the idea of the sight's and sounds and the aroma of a "Hands On" type of cooking! You know, like your great great Grand Mother used to do every day to feed the family kind'a cooking! I very likely doubt any of you's has cracked a egg into a red hot cast iron pan filled with bacon you shoved to the side, and then yell and scream cuz the grease splattered up and burnt your arms! Or, better yet, after your steak is done to perfection, the kitchens filled with the smell of one dam fine meal you've just prepared for everyone, the second the steaks out of the hot pan, in go's a thick chunk of home made bread you rub all around the pan and get every little drop of "Dripp'ins"! Pure Culinary heaven! So ya, before I get too off topic and hungry here, Nope, don't got one of them Star Wars, beam up my food Scotty kind'a cookers here! Cast Iron and Meat, Can't be Beat! (just made that one up?)
    M.Dean, with the Sou vide cooking method you still use the cast iron pan but only for a few second to char the outside of the steak . You can not produce the same results with just the pan . If you like medium rare you get medium rare all the way through, Not well done on the outside and rare on the inside like you do with just a pan !
    I to was a hot cast iron pan guy like you ,but once I tried Sou vide I would never cook a steak any other way .

CSG is correct. This method is the best for the tougher cuts of meats often turned into ground......

Did my first attempt last night with the Sous Vide machine we got for Xmas. Elk tenderloin turned out fantastic, took about an hour to get it medium rare; crushed garlic, rosemary a bit of oil and pepper in the bag then seasoned with a bit of salt before the sear. Definitely not the style of cooking if in a rush but it sure does a great job. As the water temp stays constant apparently you can't overcook it....stayed at 126 F and was melt in your mouth.

This is the machine we have https://sansaire.com/sous-vide-machine/
    Last edited by MB_Boy; 01-12-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Check out ChefSteps on YouTube.
    They're out of Seattle, tons and tons of sous vide tricks and recipes.

lots of Sous vide vids on youtube and several groups on Facebook etc ...

Like everything else however you have to have a bullshit filter on and try to filter through self absorbed douches with a god complex.

I find there are more people just willing to share their stories and how stuff turned out more often than not
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

love my Anova, aside from the ribeyes being perfectly medium rare edge to edge everytime,
    I really like the versatility of it too,
    Poached or softboiled eggs were always a little hit and miss with me, now perfection and consistency everytime as well. and no super rush to get them out of the water either a few mins here or there is a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bag1 View Post
    love my Anova, aside from the ribeyes being perfectly medium rare edge to edge everytime,
    I really like the versatility of it too,
    Poached or softboiled eggs were always a little hit and miss with me, now perfection and consistency everytime as well. and no super rush to get them out of the water either a few mins here or there is a non issue.
    curious as how to poach an egg in one of these
    Pull the trigger all the way back.

heres the quick method, bring water to 75* add eggs set timer for 13 mins, when time is up crack eggs and slide em onto a piece of toast.
    so easy...so good. you can also do up a bunch ahead of time and refridgerate for up to 1 week, when you want to eat them just reheat for 10 mins and enjoy

Resurecting this old thread....

Thinking of getting a Sous Vide pretty soon. It seems that the Anova ones are quite good and popular, but are there any other recommendations?