Re: Best BC Yukon Hunting or Outdoor Books

Many years ago (1982 ) I bought a couple books at Macs Fireweed
    Hunting Adventures With Alaskan Guides
    Written by Hal Waugh and Charles Kiem
    Couldn.t put them down !!!

Loaned them and never got them back

If you loan out your books start a list

I have heard of this one many times, but can never bite the bullet to buy it as its a pricey one, but its on my list

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonz View Post
    Alaskan & Yukon Trophies Won and Lost by G.O. Young.
    I know the thread said BC & Yukon but this one is a classic!
    "It's not a sport, it's a way of life. Enjoy every moment and every moment is a reward. Taking an animal is the objective but pleasure is found in the entire experience." - J_T

Anyone heard of Ian McTaggart Cowen ?

His biography was released last year. The Real Thing

Cowan’s early work in the national parks became the foundation for wildlife conservation and environmental education in Canada. And like his US counterpart and colleague Aldo Leopold, he was part of a secret fraternity that practised a reverence for wildness and influenced three generations of scientists and politicians on everything from conservation of endangered species to the dangers of pesticides and climate change, long before these topics were generally acknowledged.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Campfires in the Yukon
    a journal of a hunt in the Kluane range 100 years ago by some tough sob's.
    These guys talk about checking out the mountain range like we talk about cruising a golf course
    The trek from Whitehorse to Burwash took a couple of weeks back then.

Quote Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
    Exploring for Wild Sheep in British Columbia, 1931 and 1932 - Wm. Sheldon
    Need to find that one.
    ?????

Anyone read 'Unquenchable Spirit' ?

I just finished In the Land of the Red Goat by Bob Henderson based on the suggestions of this thread.
    I've travelled through Taogga and even stayed at the lodge. I didn't make the connection between the lodge and Author until I read the book.
    Now that I've read it, I can highly recommend it.

Jim and Rosamund Pojar, avid botanists, we're hiking in Spatsizi when their children, Andrew and Olivia, we're small. Andrew wore a whistle on a string around his neck. When he met Alex, the chief asked Andrew what it was. Andrew said it was a whistle to scare away the bears. Alex thought about this for a little while, then turned to Andrew and said, "Bear gonna think you a marmot."
    LOL

Most of my friends had no idea idea why I found guiding so appealing nor why I would participate in the killing of an animal, especially where the object was to put a severed head on the wall. It's a question I still grapple with. Certainly hunting has been part of our culture for thousands of years, and just as certainly, man is a predator. The act of hunting is extremely satisfying to me. Restricting it to the oldest and most vigorous animals and thereby magnifying the challenge increases the satisfaction. I do, however, distinguish between the hunt and the kill, the later often being anticlimactic for me. And two aspect of hunting are absolutely clear in my mind. First, it is a privilege to trophy hunt, not a right. And second, there is an onus on the hunter to act in the interest of the eco-system when exercising this privilege. The same maxims pertain to fishing and fisherman.
    As someone who 'rightously' hunts for food, and not for trophies, this made me stop and think about differences between the two. With all the chatter on HBC about conservation going unchecked in many part of BC, It rings true that without conservation in mind, subsistence hunting damages the eco-system far more then trophy hunting.

Charging Grizzly bears, plane crashes, freezing temperatures, runaway horses - This book had me hooked.

The author dedicates an epigraph:

To the future generations - may their dreams of wilderness adventures be fired by our successes and tempered by our failures

Just got “Voices from the MacKenzies” by Paul Dueling. Good read about the MacKenzie Mts in the NWT, the outfitters, guides, hunters, etc. Some stories had me laughing out loud. Magnificent country to boot.