View Poll Results: Short Reed calls vs goose flute

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer short reed goose calls

13 92.86%
  • I prefer goose flutes

1 7.14%

Thread: Short Reed or Flute. What goose call do you prefer?

Short Reed or Flute. What goose call do you prefer?

Hi Everyone,

I am a call maker here in Kamloops and I am looking for some opinion in regards to short reed goose calls vs goose flutes. What is your preference and why? Me personally, I like the goose Flute. Easy to blow and has a great sound and the sound does not break/crack.

I have had a number of people ask me to make them a short reed goose call.

Thanks,

Shel
    Last edited by shelg; 12-06-2016 at 11:47 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Short Reed or Flute. What goose call do you prefer?

Other than in Sean Manns hands, a flute does not hold a candle to a short reed. Short reeds can be tuned to blow just as easy if not easier then a flute. A high quality short reed has way more range, is faster, has better high end and a much goosier lower end. Its like comparing apples and watermelons. Having said that if all you care about is making a honk sound either will work. IF you want to call geese, get a short reed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Your points are interesting lorneparker1. I would agree with you that the short reed is fast but I can make my flute sing with a wide variety of calls. And yes, the ability of create a higher pitch with the short reed is better than the flute.

Thanks for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    Other than in Sean Manns hands, a flute does not hold a candle to a short reed. Short reeds can be tuned to blow just as easy if not easier then a flute. A high quality short reed has way more range, is faster, has better high end and a much goosier lower end. Its like comparing apples and watermelons. Having said that if all you care about is making a honk sound either will work. IF you want to call geese, get a short reed.

I agree with Lorne, I have been blowing calls for over 55 yrs and I have yet to hear a flute that can compare with a short reed in the hands of equally competent callers. A flute will get you buy but in the late season when the birds are getting call and decoy shy a short reed in the hands of a competent caller will make the difference between success and failure. JMO
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shelg View Post
    Your points are interesting lorneparker1. I would agree with you that the short reed is fast but I can make my flute sing with a wide variety of calls. And yes, the ability of create a higher pitch with the short reed is better than the flute.

Thanks for your feedback.
    DO you have a sounds file of your flute?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    DO you have a sounds file of your flute?
    Tell you what lorneparker1, PM me your address and I will send you a goose flute and short reed. Try them out and let me know what you think. No strings attached.

Shel

freebies?