View Poll Results: Did you know about the MU Clusters?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • I knew!

22 29.73%
  • I had no Clue!

52 70.27%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougar Bag Limits - Regional, Provincial and MU's - MU Clusters!

Re: Cougar Bag Limits - Regional, Provincial and MU's - MU Clusters!

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Region 4 cougars are over harvested in many MUs
    Should be managed by MU with a 2 to 4 cat quota for each MU, possible more depending on MU
    To many kittens left to starve to death or to become deemed problem cats because people are
    shooting females with young.
    Bag limit should be 1 and even go to 1 in 5, that could be said for other species as well such as goats.
    Over-harvested based on what?

What should the objective be for cougars?
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post

Well you cannot say anything that is being done is based on science as the bio's fully admit they have no idea what is out there. So how would you prove your point that they are under-harvested?
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaholic View Post
    Well you cannot say anything that is being done is based on science as the bio's fully admit they have no idea what is out there. So how would you prove your point that they are under-harvested?
    D
    Didn't say they were being under-harvested.

Asked why LBM thinks they are being over-harvest.

And secondly what the objective is for cougar management.

Guess the second question would be a good one for you as well.

Mandela

Not numbers of animals but age class and structure. Current regs are for sustained harvest.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaholic View Post
    I was under the understanding that the 2 bag limit only applied in the west koots and/or the caribou recovery zone, the East koots is 1. All of the other MU's get shut down when the female quota has been hit, except for a few. But if a trusty CO told you so I still wouldn't believe him, it just seems counter productive on what they are trying to do. As well as I have on numerous occasions got two different stories out of two different co's on some issues. As LBM has stated most MU's are over harvested on cougar here, you might not think so, but any cat over i would say 70lbs usually takes a bullet. If people still think cougar are a problem here in the EK they have their head in the sand.
    Everyone's free to express their opinion, all are welcome. But I do disagree with LBM and yourself.

For a guy that was under an incorrect impression concerning what the bag limit even is to go on to say that any cat over 70lbs are usually killed by Hunters in the EK strikes me as a total load of nonsense and a truly absurdist, hyperbolic statement at best. Please back this up with legit data if you can, that's nutzo! I presume you're just being colorful?
    Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 12-06-2016 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Just friendly'n up the post a touch

#1 personal observation, harvest data, talking with biologists that say the same thing
    #2 A more rounded age class of cats. Managed by MU with a realistic Quota for them
    Quota on Toms should have been implemented years ago, more realistic quota on females
    Regional bag limit of 1, go to a 1 in 5 limit
    Pursuit till the end of March in the EK
    That would be a start
    Last edited by LBM; 12-06-2016 at 09:59 PM.

#1 personal observation, harvest data, talking with biologists that say the same thing
    #2 A more rounded age class of cats. Managed by MU with a realistic Quota for them
    Quota on Toms should have been implemented years ago, more realistic quota on females
    That would be a start
    So not managing cougars, more like a natural, un-hunted structure.

Fair enough.

Certainly some polarizing opinions in the EK, as always.

Mandela

That would be a start
    What's the average age of cats ci in region 4?
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

Quote Originally Posted by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham View Post
    r106 - It applies in any instance wherein multiple animals of the same Big Game species can be harvested in the Province/Region. So let's use this example -

Region 2 Columbia Blacktail Bucks 2-5, 2-12 Sept 10-Nov 30 Bag Limit 1. Regional Bag Limit is 2. If you kill a Buck in 2-12, then it appears to be a no go for 2-5. Just like EK Cougar, I figure.
    hmm I always thought that it just ment you can only take 1 from one of those mu's but you could still take one from another as long as you don't go over regional or provincial bag limits. If what your saying is true I bet there are a lot of people taking some illegal deer
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

So not managing cougars, more like a natural, un-hunted structure.

Fair enough.

Certainly some polarizing opinions in the EK, as always.
    I figure polarized opinions are all over the place! I also figure that the Region 4 Cougar Hunt is just fine and is being managed well and in a sustainable way.