Thread: Domestic geese with "wild"

Domestic geese with "wild"

Hey Guys,

Waterfowled for years back in MB....and still try and get back to hunt with my Dad there now and then. Do you guys out here see many domestic geese with the wilds?

I live down right by the ocean in Van and was walking the dog tonight; a bunch of Canada's in the field by my house and amongst them one BIG FAT domestic goose. No way it's an escapee from the neighborhood, our Moonbean mayor only allows chickens...haha. It was largely white with some brownish/greyish coloring on it and a big white skin looking flap where it's beak meets it's face. I have seen plenty of blue's and snow alive and dead to know it wasn't one of those and definitely not a Brant or a swam (or gull ). Looked quickly at some breeds of domestics but didn't see a match but made the Canada's look definitely smaller next to it. Snapped a pic but phone camera at the distance didn't do it any justice.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Domestic geese with "wild"

Could be a hybrid. We do see those here occasionally.

Found the perp again tonight....he's been ditched by the Canada's he was with yesterday and now is squawking up a storm in Kits Pool. His "honk" sounds like a deeper toned mix between a Canada and a Snow Goose.

Was able to get a couple of pics in the fading light. (on a side note...holy crap has Photobucket turned into a piece of garbage site for hosting images; SO frickin slow and pretty sure it's dumping ad tracking tools on to PC's )

Quote Originally Posted by LupieHunter View Post
    Could be a hybrid. We do see those here occasionally.
    I think after a bit of a Google search, Lupie you may be right. I wonder why he bailed on the honkers though?

Found this image and it looks to be a pretty close match.

Last edited by MB_Boy; 12-05-2016 at 07:34 PM.

His legs are orange. I seen one like that here, With the Canada's. They were on a ducks unlimited pond. When they flew. He went with them. There was also a big white one. That was hanging around. It was flying with a different flock. This was north of Abbotsford.

Do their legs change from orange to black? I have only shot one. And that is when they first started a season on them out here.

When I saw yesterday I didn't notice the legs from a distance....and in the dark this evening I sure couldn't tell.

Not a hybrid. That is 100% a tamey.

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

He appears to be the only goose that does not know Kits pool is closed for the season.