Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Congratlations to the 2017 BCWF Region 2 executive and board

Congratlations to the 2017 BCWF Region 2 executive and board

Huge congratulations to the 2017 Executive and BOD of the BCWF Region 2. Pres. Chuck Zuckerman, 1st VP, Mark McDonald, 2nd VP Dennis Zentner, Treasure David Oliver, Secretary Jim Helsdon and all the new and returning directors. Here's looking forward to a very productive upcoming year.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Congratlations to the 2017 BCWF Region 2 executive and board

Hopefully they can turn it around

What does this mean?
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Adriacticum:

I'm not completely sure how to answer your question, but on the surface it means that the Region 2 Board of the BCWF has a new president, Chuck Zuckerman (he was on the BoD in the past), a returning VP (Mark), treasurer (David) and secretary (Jim), and, a new 2nd VP (Dennis, who also has past BoD experience). There were additional directors appointed/elected as well. I say appointed/elected because all of the directors who agreed to have their names stand were agreed upon by the AGM quorum (as in, nobody lost a director vote).

As a lot of people know who have followed some of this stuff, there was some bad blood on the R2 BoD that either arose from or culminated in what I'll call the Ed George affair (I wasn't part of it, I don't know all the inner details, but a lot of us on HBC saw some of the debate/arguments/fall out). That bad blood was evident in a R2BoD meeting I attended earlier this year and it was evident today as well, but hopefully it has been put to rest. It looked to me like one side in the affair clearly won the day, so I'm going to assume that everyone can put that behind them and move on.

I don't want to speak for Chuck Zuckerman except to say that he set out a getting back to basics vision for the coming year that includes outreach to youth and engaging target shooters in Region 2. I hope Chuck is on this forum and can flesh that out a bit - his vision was delivered in a short address to the AGM attendees and I'm not really doing it justice. He had some good stuff to say.

There is also a fair bit of housekeeping that R2 has to get done, but I think that the new BoD will have no problem addressing that. Some of the returning BoD members seem quite knowledgable about some of the real challenges facing Region 2.

The AGM was an eye opener because it brought into sharp focus the challenge we face as BCWF R2 members. Voting is based on club affiliation, which is very clunky and can lead to some political maneuvering. This took up a lot of time and effort and needs to be looked at.

At the same time we had a presentation by Marvin Rosenau on sturgeon. This presentation was very informative. What I got from it (and anyone else who was there please feel free to chime in to either confirm that I'm on the right track or to get me back on track if I'm off) is that after a mid-90s collapse of sturgeon populations we have recovered the population in terms of total numbers. The problem is that we've seen a change in the make up of that population in that the population of younger sturgeon is dropping. What I took from this is that as time goes by we will see the opposite of a baby boom moving through the population. Fewer new sturgeon are surviving and making to to breeding age. The total population may look ok for a while but the time will come when we have another crash.

This seems to be based on (surprise surprise) habitat loss, specifically spawning areas, and that seems to be a result of gravel extraction. There is also a problem with food for sturgeon being taken up by the commercial fishery before it gets to the sturgeon.

There were also some motions put to the R2 AGM regarding bringing action items to the BCWF AGM, including a hunter's bill of rights, a motion to legislate the release of egg bearing prawns and a call for regulation of helicopter based mountain biking (the practice of ferrying mountain bikers into the alpine on a helicopter for approximately $200).

We spent more time in the AGM jockeying for political position and going over recriminations than we did dealing with sturgeon, bills of rights, prawns or regulating wild landscape use by other users. That's something that has to change, and I'm hopeful that it will, but that discrepancy in time and energy allocation is what I'm referring to when I say that the AGM brought the R2 BCWF challenges into sharp focus. We should be focusing on being more effective with conservation and hunter access and spend less time on internal politics. Again, I'm hopeful.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    We spent more time in the AGM jockeying for political position and going over recriminations than we did dealing with sturgeon, bills of rights, prawns or regulating wild landscape use by other users.
    Time to flush the toilet on that bunch and move forward with people who want to do something for fish and wildlife. Seems that will take longer than it should.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

toilet was flushed earlier today.
    "Hunting For HEALTH Not TROPHIES"

Mr. Chipman has pointed out our shortcomings in precise fashion, yet you are still unable to see it, and lead by example. I've offered my congratulations on another thread because they were due. You "won" today Dale by the slightest of margins, and I consider that a victory by our side considering what we were up against. Don't be goaded by someone like FD. It's unbecoming. Move on, or fuel the fire. It's up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by fowl language View Post
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by fowl language View Post
    Naw, the butthurt bunch continues to hang around and politicize a non-political organization. Time for you guys to let someone with progressive ideas and no personal agendas take the reins.

You'll never do the right thing, though. You're only happy when you block the way forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Thanks Rob!
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Yes, congratulations to the new Board. I hope that it is able to move forward. That being said, it is upsetting that atmosphere was so hostile today. In my opinion most of the positions were filled with excellent candidates; however a few key ones were filled for simply supporting the "winning team," or out of loyalty and not the best qualifications. It was also disheartening to see so many people who have committed decades of their lives to the BCWF walk-out and possibly away. I hope that time allows them perspective and they will return.

I truly wish the new board the best, they have a very tough job. I hope they are up for the challenge.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!