Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tuchodi Fishing trip Jetboat Rescue

Re: Tuchodi Fishing trip Jetboat Rescue

Just wondering what your thoughts on used boats are. Is it to big a risk with what river boats are put through or can a guy save some cash and find a good used one.

What should I be looking at as far as wear and tear on a used jet.

Hilgy
    Nothing wrong with a used boat, look it over carefully (if the boat is at the owners house wander past his truck and look at/in it, if his truck is a mess that will tell you about how he treats his equipment).
    Look at the bottom, near the back, to see if there is a hook forming where the transome meets the bottom. Check the transome at the bottom, to see if the transome is starting to buckle up.
    Check the intake for repaires or cracks, also check the intake bars for excessive damage.
    With a flashlight look into the nozzel at the stator, check for damage.
    Lift the floorboards and look for cracked welds on the stringers.
    Look for broken bolts on the bottom (If it has UHMW on the bottom)

I would say that most boats that run smaller rivers will have some damage, but that's to be expected.

Used Motors are always a gamble, I won't go there.

Here are a couple pics of a friends Brand New Boat, after a close encounter with a Spruce Tree two days ago:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

My body might be in Red Deer but my heart and soul are still on the Island

Re: Tuchodi Fishing trip Jetboat Rescue

Thanks Rock,
    I'm still trying to do some research to learn a little more about Jets and such before I seriously start looking.

For now I just wait for your vids and try and convice the wife how much fun we could have in one.

Hilgy
    "you can have your rifle on the dashboard and ammo clenched between your teeth and that's legal."-Gatehouse