Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: traditional bow hunting advice

traditional bow hunting advice

I would like to get into traditional bow hunting and i just would like to know what you recomend to start with. ive always shot a compound but want a challenge to my hunting season.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: traditional bow hunting advice

Hit up Outsyder with a pm, seems to be extremely knowledgable about the game. Gave me a bunch of sound advice.

Sorry OutsyderBC, fat thumbs and an IPhone, my bad.

I shoot a takedown recurve it's a Smokey Mountain Hunter by OMP. I would suggest going to a good archery shop (not cabelas, wholesale sports or bass pro but a actual archery shop) and get them to help you out. The internet is full of 'pro's' who don't know shit so actually talking to a person with decades of experience is invaluable.

Personally I like my takedown recurve because I can change the limbs easily to change the poundage. However archery is a very individual sport what works for one may not for another you might want to consider trying out a bunch of bows and figuring out which one is the perfect fit for you. Start with that face to face conversation with a pro.

The simplicity of traditonal archery is great I've just started making my own wood arrows and hope to one day be shooting a longbow that I build myself. I'm the furthest thing from an expert but am trying to learn every aspect and it's a great journey, next up is to learn string building then bow making.
    The only bad day in the bush is the one where you're mauled by a bear and left for dead by your friends, where you must embark on a six week crawl fuelled by revenge.

Rather Be Bushcrafting http://ratherbebushcrafting.blogspot.ca

I shoot a recurve but I am no expert

My main advice for someone new to trad from compound ignore the draw weight of your compound and don't get wrapped up in legal hunting weight for first bow. Go test shoot some different bows and draw weights. Pick what is truly comfortable as I find form with trad is even more important than compound. Takedowns are nice but if you finding you need a lighter draw weight for starters price what a future set of limbs will cost. At times limbs cost just as much as a new bow. At times it is cheaper to buy a light weight bow to learn on than sell it and up grade latter

Example of how different draw weight from trad to compound can be. I can shoot a compound set at 80# no issue(have shot weights in the 90# range) for my recurve I find 55# perfect could probably go 60# max and stay within comfort zone.

Be honest with your self on draw weight a little lighter is better than over doing it. You will become more accurate if you start with a weight that involves no struggling

Archery stores are hit and miss……mentioning no names but when you get told outright that traditional archers are not great spenders so not worth that much effort as "they make most of their own gear" and then they're not continually upgrading not only their bows but their peripheries then you get it…...

1. shoot often and get solid mentorship (if you can), join a club and shoot with them and work out who can help you.

2. first bows should be light, 30# to get into good habits from the get go so buy a cheapy first or a bow with limb upgrade options as you grow. (Check out ILF for example - like tradtech) archery uses muscles that don't usually get such a work out so even if you are a big ol' unit you will still struggle so don't be macho about it, this is not the time! (why I ALWAYS do better teaching females, they nearly always get it way quicker!)

3. Get arrows to match the bow (this is where a store with little traddy knowledge ALWAYS fails- manufacturers spine charts are a guideline at best) and you will be able to progress far better & quicker if your arrows are going consistently where you are sending them. Otherwise you will not know if it's you or the gear that is not working. Results = enjoyment

4. Relax and enjoy it and worry about hunting later, learn to shoot first.

I can't help you much with the hunting thing being a relative newcomer to bowhunting (I'm a filthy foreigner!) so hopefully some of those accomplished bowhunters I know, friends from the archery scene (Greybark, Bluesman) will chime in to aid you better on your hunting specific Q's.

What I have learned is that heavy draw weights (50#+ on your fingers) is quite unnecessary these days with modern bows, limb design and composition and carbon arrows and good broad heads and I have seen a shift from very high profile & accomplished hunters now using manageable bows, even the ones they are hitting the 3Ds with as they know them and are consistent with them. They are not shooting the Hill style longbow anymore and they recognise this.
    I have had deer pass thrus with bows in the lower 40#s (at 28" - my draw in longer) but I have it seen documented (Stateside - NOT BC!) that weights down to 30# are successfully used.
    Personally I like just over 50# on my fingers for hunting (Less for 3D) as that way I am legal for anything in the province should I ever feel the need.

I also set up to be as deadly as I can to 30yds

Good luck, but try and get out there with some of the many proficient one stringers we have around here, that will help you………they are mostly gooders!

There are, in fact, helpful vids on YouTube for shooting traditional..I had never shot a bow before, other than crossbow, and in less than two months, after 1000+ shots, I've developed a form that works for me...I shoot my recurve by aiming over the arrow, rather than the traditional way of just aiming with both eyes open like you would throw a baseball..know your yardage, memorize your hold over or under..I would think it would be easier to learn on a lighter poundage bow, but I've learned on my 55# bow, so it's not impossible (though I'm a decently strong guy).. it's all about finding what form works for you, and perfecting it and above all, being EXACTLY consistent with it, ie where you aim, where your first and second anchor points are etc..I'm getting good groupings now, and hunt with it, but have set my personal limits with it...

ya i am going to go to a actual archery shop i always want to try before i buy. Thats awesome you make your own arrows

thanks for all the advice you guys are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by r_haines View Post
    ya i am going to go to a actual archery shop i always want to try before i buy. Thats awesome you make your own arrows
    Making arrows is actually not overly difficult or technical and it's quite satisfying also allows for a lot of tuning and customizing. I try not to overthink it after all humans have been shooting bows and arrows for about 10,000 years now and, from the traditional side of it at least, really not a whole lot has actually changed.
    The only bad day in the bush is the one where you're mauled by a bear and left for dead by your friends, where you must embark on a six week crawl fuelled by revenge.

Rather Be Bushcrafting http://ratherbebushcrafting.blogspot.ca