Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any sheep There?

Any sheep There?

I was wondering if anyone had hunted the shulaps range for sheep or big bucks , if you could tell me about your experience it would be great , i'm thinking of going up hunting there and wouldn't even know where to start . I'm wondering if the gene pool is good there?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Any sheep There?

yes there ARE sheep in the SHULAPS..Californian bighorns and a couple of beauties...that was the area where the fatal helicopter crash with f&w when they were putting collars on sheep for tracking purposes..and they hit a raven and crashed losing all souls on board.

I have flown over there and hunted there great deer and some exellent sheep...

Steven

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are not the Shulaps under LEH for sheep? I recall straying from my Kamloops Sheep goal once and putting in for the Shulaps instead. I think the odds were only 30:1 instead of 600:1.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but are not the Shulaps under LEH for sheep? I recall straying from my Kamloops Sheep goal once and putting in for the Shulaps instead. I think the odds were only 30:1 instead of 600:1.
    LEH for 3/4 curl and a GOS Full curl season. Gives you hope and opportunity if not much of a chance.

SSS

Srupp, the bios that crashed doin sheep work were out of WL and it happened out at the junction....unless were talkin about a different crash...

It has been a good 10 or 12 years since the last time I really put some time into that area, but it is one of the places me and my horse are dying to get back to. I have heard that roads are making access easier and you know how access and the hunter number to quality game ratio works.

Most of my time was spent in the Serpentine Lake-Rex Basin-Dutch Oven area with a couple trips going from the Jones Creek drainage going north to the Hell Creek area.

In those days it was a quality sheep area on the decline a bit, but from what I have heard still is half-ass decent today. As with any sheep hunt your gonna have to be ready to work, but with this area especially. This isn't the Fraser or Nine Mile it's the Shulaps and it can be wicked especially the weather. I personally never saw a full curl ram up there but I did see a couple of smoking 7/8's one time that made me curse the horn curl change of a couple years earlier. There were always quality bucks there and from some of the bucks I've seen taken above the dam in the late season I would think that is still the case today.
    They laughed at my boots, laughed at my jeans, laughed when they gave me amphetamines
    Left me alone in a mean part of town, 36 hrs to come back down...am I the last of my kind?

WoodOx Guest

Where in the hell is the shulaps? heh

Did it get hit hard, if at all with lung worm?

I was in there last year on the long weekend in october ,we only saw one little buck and no sheep .chilcotin holidays has putin a new camp where we ended up and some A hole has had dirt bikes all over the alpine there.It is awesome country .It's the only place in the mountians I have founds signs telling me to watch out for grizzly bears .I found it to be a little too inhabited .

The deer hunting up in the serpentine lk area hasnt been that great the last 15 yrs,alot of wolves that moved into that area has put a damper on what was a good deer hunting area. my biggest buck came off that mnt 1984 .and yes the weather can get friken nasty,many a cold nights spent up there.
    Midnight toker

Last time i was up ninemile ridge i ran into mountain bikers up there.They were actually shocked to see someone with a rifle up there LOL