Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How Many Seasons To Get First Archery Deer?

Re: How Many Seasons To Get First Archery Deer?

I got a mule deer spike buck on my first day ever bow hunting last year (also first day hunting in general) out solo. Luckiest thing that's happened to me lol.

Started Bowhunting in 82 and shot my first in 87. Bear Whitetail hunter Compound. Couldn't get close enough stalking and had to get up in a tree stand.

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

6 years to take my first deer. Made every mistake in the book (even invented a few new ones), learned from them, learned from other people, and slowly pieced it all together. First deer was a P&Y class blacktail I arrowed at 10 feet. That was in '91 and I can still recall that evening even now.

RC

Shot my first archery deer 9:30 my very first morning using my bow.
    Spot n stalk 2x3 Mule deer.

Man this archery is way too easy.

Shot my first deer with a bow after about a week of trying on a mule doe tag. Never did find it though! Trailed about 2-300 yards uphill/sidehill, over blowdown etc and the blood stopped. Didn't cross my tag but I decided not to try shooting another one, it didn't feel right.

Came to full draw on Spring bears 3 times in my first season, no shot though.

Borrowed a cross bow my first season and killed a buck about an hour and a half later hiking the power lines. Bought a bow the next year shot over two different bucks in the same week, sold it and bought a better bow practiced more and shot my first buck with the compound the next season at 10 yards. I've only shot 1 deer out of the tree stand all the rest have been on two feet and a heartbeat. Think like a predator, put in the time and never let your guard down. My bow hunting motto is "always be stalking." Good look out there.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

As a kid, I spent lots of time shooting bows in my back yard. When i turned 15 I tried for the first time to kill a deer with my 46# long bow, and killed a nice young buck.

After that I was older and find firearms far more interesting, so put the bow away for the most part, although I have used them successfully since then. Crossbows and compounds, too. My Dad used to sell some sporting goods and came home with one of the first compounds, certainly the first we had ever seen. Couldn't believe when he tried it out and it went right through my longbow/recurve target, right through the backstop we had erected and across the street into the neighbors garden. Probably have the police called these days if that happened.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    As a kid, I spent lots of time shooting bows in my back yard. When i turned 15 I tried for the first time to kill a deer with my 46# long bow, and killed a nice young buck.

After that I was older and find firearms far more interesting, so put the bow away for the most part, although I have used them successfully since then. Crossbows and compounds, too. My Dad used to sell some sporting goods and came home with one of the first compounds, certainly the first we had ever seen. Couldn't believe when he tried it out and it went right through my longbow/recurve target, right through the backstop we had erected and across the street into the neighbors garden. Probably have the police called these days if that happened.
    then U joined the US navy washed dishes and retired in Pemberton

In my 3rd year of bowhunting finally arrowed a tall 2 point blacktail during the peak of the rut...some of the chewiest hamburger I have ever eaten. Taken many since but that was still one of my most exciting hunts.