Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Seasons To Get First Archery Deer?

Re: How Many Seasons To Get First Archery Deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Treestands are great for whitetails and elk but they won't work great for bears....at least not in BC. My favorite archery hunt is still hunting late season mule deer. When the conditions are good, it's probably my favorite hunt or at least near the top.

SSS
    actually there is guys who effectively use tree stands for bears. Bears can be really easy to pattern do to there need to feed in the spring. I have not used a tree stand personally but have successfully ambushed them on the ground

Tree stand can be effective for any species you succeed to pattern and the location provides a tree. I know of all species of deer taken this way, moose, elk, black bear, grizz, and even a bighorn from Canmore bow zone.

No doubt it is more effective for some species but if you have a reliable location to ambush any species it can work

Great tool when used correctly

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Every style of hunting has it's merits and devoted followers...
    I don't doubt that hunting from a tree stand is effective, but in most of the areas
    I hunt mule deer, it very hard to find a reliable funnel point. Although I'm always
    keeping my eyes open for such a place, I've never tried it. All the many deer I've
    taken with a bow have been by spot and stalk or still hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    Every style of hunting has it's merits and devoted followers...
    I don't doubt that hunting from a tree stand is effective, but in most of the areas
    I hunt mule deer, it very hard to find a reliable funnel point. Although I'm always
    keeping my eyes open for such a place, I've never tried it. All the many deer I've
    taken with a bow have been by spot and stalk or still hunting.
    Most often mule deer is still hunting or spot & stalk for me as well. There really is no magic style of hunting it all comes down to guessing what is right for the conditions of the area and animals habits

I use what ever style that I think is needed at the time. In my opinion the more versatile you are the better

First year, second day... I got lucky though, took 2 more years till my second this year. First one was a mule spot and stalk, second was a whitetail from a treestand.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
    First year, second day... I got lucky though, took 2 more years till my second this year. First one was a mule spot and stalk, second was a whitetail from a treestand.
    Back on track. Thanks.

ummm,,,,,guess i was lucky,,,,1st year,,,started shooting in the summer,,,by Dec 1st i was ready to hunt,,,and thats when the WTdeer in region 8-12,8-14,,would run onto the road to see who's coming,,really wasn't to fair..took several antlerless before i took my first buck my 3rd yr,,,that was 25 someone yrs ago..
    treestand is the way to go for WT,,,although my first 10 or so were spot and stalk,,then the blacktail on the coast were treestands,,seemed to work good for them too.

Was going to be the first this year as I made a serious attempt with my crossbow on whitetails, but I just could not squeeze the trigger. He showed up right as I was starting to pack up to be home in time of the DU dinner....was told I was not to be late for that!!!

Shot him with the camera instead and am now eating deer tag soup.....but was a fun season as I learned a lot about crossbow hunting, including missing another bigger buck due to a rookie mistake, but that is for another story to tell another day.

So right now, 1 year for crossbow, numerous years with a compound (but was never serious about it) and no meat in the freezer, but hope to change that next year!!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

That top photo is a beautiful pic.

in my second season bowhunting but first year chasing deer I arrowed 3 bucks on the QCI.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

First year with a compound, double lunged a mulie at 25 yds on foot. Spent a good amount of time shooting at target butts and 3D courses with experienced hunters before I headed out hunting that year. Have yet to get one from the tree stand. Froze my feet and butt off in the stand yesterday but we did see whitetail does. Come dec. 1st they might just be in my sights.