Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated Thoughts on Crossbows vs Vertical Bows?

Re: Updated Thoughts on Crossbows vs Vertical Bows?

Quote Originally Posted by FortBoy View Post
    i have no issue with xbow being allowed in bow season, legal is legal......but personally think its cheating a bit. For young/old/disabled hunters, all the power to them, happy to see them getting to enjoy the season. but an able bodied hunter, shooting a xbow instead of a vertical, just seems lazy to me. .02
    I used one this season. Last couple of years I started having shoulder issues, from an accident, so it kept me in the game. But recently, some regular stretching and strength training has returned my shoulder to proper form.

I'm a vertical recurve shooter and when I got the crossbow, the only choice was which horizontal recurve to buy. I value simplicity and resilience over most other qualities. All that being said, my next bow will probably be a reflex-deflex longbow. I've had my eye on them for years.

Quote Originally Posted by FortBoy View Post
    i have no issue with xbow being allowed in bow season, legal is legal......but personally think its cheating a bit. For young/old/disabled hunters, all the power to them, happy to see them getting to enjoy the season. but an able bodied hunter, shooting a xbow instead of a vertical, just seems lazy to me. .02
    Not to get in a pi$$ing match, but what exactly are you saying when you call crossbow users lazy and cheating??

I am curious why you would call a fellow hunter a cheater?? And lazy??

Another reason why us hunters are our own worst enemy when BS like this being bantered around........if you don't like it, complain to your MLA and get it changed, but as long as it is legal, you have no right to bad mouth fellow hunters!!!

And I will now pass the popcorn.....

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

absolutely...I mean if its legal it must be right hahahahahaha .

Xbow user here. Still get bashed by buddies and keep telling me to buy a vert compound. I've tried both and I am more accurate with the xbow. Plus I make less mistake with my xbow than a vert. Less mistake = more ethical hunt IMO. Plus there's the old back/shoulder injury popping up every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by gmachine19 View Post
    Xbow user here. Still get bashed by buddies and keep telling me to buy a vert compound. I've tried both and I am more accurate with the xbow. Plus I make less mistake with my xbow than a vert. Less mistake = more ethical hunt IMO. Plus there's the old back/shoulder injury popping up every now and then.
    Very solid reasoning

Quote Originally Posted by gmachine19 View Post
    Xbow user here. Still get bashed by buddies and keep telling me to buy a vert compound.
    Do they have any specific reasons as to why they think you should do this? Or just something they believe but cannot convey why?

well i have a x bow but i can not use my vertical bow any more or i would not have this thing

Old trad guys who say compounds are cheating because of let off, sights, easier to learn and extended range

Compound shooters who call Xbows cheating because you hold no weight, cocked ready to go so no drawing back before the shot, scopes, easiest to shoot and a gun stalk.

Xbow shooters often just want to be accepted as a bow hunter but the rare one even says bows are not accurate enough

The above is the normal issues heard them all lol

Reality of it is non are = and the more technology you add the easier it makes it for the shooter

Even my self I have no issue with Xbows in archery season but I do not call those using a Xbow bow hunters. This does not mean I look down on Xbows. Without physically holding the string for the shot and drawing back with game present its not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Old trad guys who say compounds are cheating because of let off, sights, easier to learn and extended range

Compound shooters who call Xbows cheating because you hold no weight, cocked ready to go so no drawing back before the shot, scopes, easiest to shoot and a gun stalk.

Xbow shooters often just want to be accepted as a bow hunter but the rare one even says bows are not accurate enough

The above is the normal issues heard them all lol

Reality of it is non are = and the more technology you add the easier it makes it for the shooter

Even my self I have no issue with Xbows in archery season but I do not call those using a Xbow bow hunters. This does not mean I look down on Xbows. Without physically holding the string for the shot and drawing back with game present its not the same.
    Very well said sir

If I could only use a bow to hunt I would, if only a X bow to hunt I would, and if only a rifle I would. I have harvested game as close as 15 yards with a X bow and even closer with a rifle, a cougar at 15 yrds a wolf at 14 and a moose this year at 10. Would I have rather used a pointy stick instead, maybe in some cases. In other cases I was glad to have the rifle. As long as your getting out there and enjoying your passion and putting food in your freezer is all that matters.