Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated Thoughts on Crossbows vs Vertical Bows?

Re: Updated Thoughts on Crossbows vs Vertical Bows?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Too many hunters are closed minded to one weapon. Guys need to get out and live a little experiencing different forms of hunting
    This I agree with

Cool Re: Updated Thoughts on Crossbows vs Vertical Bows?

Still find a fair amount of resistance / disdain from vertical bow users towards crossbow users.
    Not so much here in BC, although some of that still exists.

MUCH more so in places like Alberta. Bring up crossbow inclusion in their archery seasons on any of their hunting forums, and Fasten Your Seatbelt! LOL! Mostly protectionism at work, and fear that they might somehow lose some of their privileges were they to be allowed. The vast majority of jurisdictions that have allowed full inclusion haven't realized any of their ill founded fears, but the thought still persists...

I have a permit to hunt Alberta within their archery seasons. Don't care for the "Disabled" label so much, but at least I can still use pointy sticks within pointy stick season over there (MUCH Longer seasons there for archery than BC, and many that are GOS for bow, but LEH for rifle in the same zone). Some (many) of the Alberta Bow Association consider me the root of all evil for doing so, and have taken every opportunity to slag me whenever they can. Sour grapes I guess, but does spell out their fears and disdain rather well.

Funny thing, I was running a compound bow when most of them were yet to be in diapers. Only run the crossbow now due to injuries, and a thirst to stay in the archery game.

BC seems a tad more accepting among the various groups, at least that has been my experience here.

Doesn't really effect me. Water off the proverbial duck's back as it were. If it's Legal, I see no reason not to embrace it...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I was waiting to see how long it took IronNoggin to chime in. Thanks for the input.

Nog it seems many places that do not allow Xbows in archery season those using bows are dead against them. Often this is to do with guys spreading myths about how much harder it is to learn to shoot a compound vs xbow. Add in the spread of fear that mass numbers will pick up an Xbow and wound game from treating them like a rifle. 99% of those who are against Xbows have never hunted with one. Alberta has a very strong numer of bow hunters and a strong voice for them. Unfortanatly that voice has been abused by a few pushing personal agendas. Lots of fear mongers is the issue

Every area has there issues against hunting styles. Here in BC it is rifle hunters who view archery seasons as archers trying to keep others out instead of how they can be used to create opurtunity.

Any change when it comes to hunting weapon style is met with fear mongering it just varies from location to location

I have been an archery addict for as long as i can remember, actually shot my first 3 deer with a bow, then shot one with a gun at like 80 yards and threw the gun away, never did anything for me. I liked the fact that i outsmarted the animals and got them within 30 yards, wayyyy back it was more like 30 yards was my max,, I hated xbows since way back because the most part of it was people just going and buying one because they got an extra 9 days to hunt in september, and in some places an extra 20 days in December. There was no practice involved and on more than a few occasions witnessed some pretty horrible things from people shooting xbows at unethical distances because "they could" or because my xbow can shoot 80 yards no problems.
    i still hate xbows because of that, i personally don't think a xbow should be allowed in an archery season because i don't view it as archery, That being said that is JMO,, and my good friends that i hunt with in the archery season use xbows. I just don't like a lot of the attitude from guys that strictly hunt with them a few times a year, then put them down in preference of their rifles. But to each their own, My daughter (8yrs old right now) wants a xbow so bad its not even funny,,and of course i am going to get her one so she can come hunt with me. As long as its a legal weapon to hunt with then i respect that fact.
    My daughter also said she would like to try hunting with a rifle to, although i don't, (actually i have for elk). Ill get her a rifle to. i currently hunt with the bow during the whole season, my personal choice. I go out on hunts with my friends who carry rifles and look at me and say "Damn archery guy". I just enjoy it thats all, and i have never really found it that hard to take my deer every year with it. I have only went without one year,, and that year was actually the big winter kill year, ...96 i think.
    i still shake my head at xbow users,,i don't know why though. maybe it was from wayyyyy back. one thing though,, i do like the looks of them, and i will get my daughter one. i also except the fact that they are allowed in our current BC regulations, And have had some funny conversations with xbow users when we have met in the field in an archery seasons. I also know that with this new muscle deterioration thing that has started in my body, its just a matter of time before i have to get one to use.,
    no offence intended to anyone, that was not my intent. so don't get your pee in a knot.
    JMO.....
    cheers...D

i have no issue with xbow being allowed in bow season, legal is legal......but personally think its cheating a bit. For young/old/disabled hunters, all the power to them, happy to see them getting to enjoy the season. but an able bodied hunter, shooting a xbow instead of a vertical, just seems lazy to me. .02

Quote Originally Posted by Ddog View Post
    i still hate xbows because of that, i personally don't think a xbow should be allowed in an archery season because i don't view it as archery
    Thanks for your honest opinion. And don't worry about pee knots. Would you consider traditional archery gear the only thing to be true archery?

Quote Originally Posted by FortBoy View Post
    i have no issue with xbow being allowed in bow season, legal is legal......but personally think its cheating a bit. For young/old/disabled hunters, all the power to them, happy to see them getting to enjoy the season. but an able bodied hunter, shooting a xbow instead of a vertical, just seems lazy to me. .02
    Could you elaborate on the cheating part? Also the lazy part? Specifically what about crossbows compared to compound bows and traditional bows makes them cheating and why it would be considered lazy? Thanks for your time and honesty.

actually...i view archery as something where you pull a string before you shoot,,soooo.....recurve, long bow (traditional)... not where everything is ready and you aim and pull trigger ...i actually like to call them xguns,, but thats just me..

Quote Originally Posted by Ddog View Post
    actually...i view archery as something where you pull a string before you shoot,,soooo.....recurve, long bow (traditional)... not where everything is ready and you aim and pull trigger ...i actually like to call them xguns,, but thats just me..
    Thanks for the input