Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: my outlook has changed what do you think?

Re: my outlook has changed what do you think?

^^^ I'm getting tired of threads like this. The facts are, there is no single group in the EK, including Government the BCWF, anyone that says wildlife numbers here are stable or doing fine. In fact, there are multiple demands for Government Action. There are meetings on this constantly, meetings with MLAs, with Government staff at all levels. There are groups coming together expressing their concerns on an ongoing basis. Those who live here know.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    ^^^ I'm getting tired of threads like this. The facts are, there is no single group in the EK, including Government the BCWF, anyone that says wildlife numbers here are stable or doing fine. In fact, there are multiple demands for Government Action. There are meetings on this constantly, meetings with MLAs, with Government staff at all levels. There are groups coming together expressing their concerns on an ongoing basis. Those who live here know.
    Agreed!
    I've lived in Golden for nearly twenty years now. I have observed the ungulate populations decline over that time dramatically. Our Rod and Gun club had its annual banquet last week and only one elk, one mule deer and about a half dozen whitetail enteries for the antler scoring. That's with well over a hundred folks at the banquet.
    Last edited by Greenthumbed; 03-12-2018 at 08:02 AM.

-- It's never been easy to shoot a record sized animule. There are fawns, calves, and yearlings also. Plus all the way up thru the antler formation, typ and non-typ.
    - if your going on big antlers for comparison to other years there is a cycle the animals are in over hundreds of years. Sometimes the feed that year or the water wasn't right when antlers were growing.
    Sometimes people think record animules are going to be standing by a road when there driving around, not going to happen now a daze.
    -- To get a big animal you have to still hunt, get out of truck, and walk back on a ridge, very slowly and quietly into back country, then gut and pack it out. All day process of hard labor. You need to be in good physical condition, strong heart and lungs. If your breathing heavy now and over weight I wood not try this type of hunting, stick to road hunting and have a helper.
    Jel -- go for LEH in the area your in --
    Last edited by Jelvis; 03-12-2018 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Stay Active -- move move move

I was only referring to the lack of entries. I do know that record bucks are special and are not hiding behind every tree. I know that they take effort and luck to find. I also know that antler size is not everything. I was talking about the lack of animals on the landscape. I've seen it with my own eyes and I've talked with others that feel the same way.
    Last edited by Greenthumbed; 03-12-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    And the funny thing is, when we look back at the OP, and see his calling for an end to antlerless seasons to "fix" things, and then realize we haven't killed a mule deer doe in region 4 since 1996, we begin to realize that the whole point (if there even is one) of this thread is useless.

Hunting regulations aren't the problem. Chasing the wrong solutions to ungulate population issues is the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    And the funny thing is, when we look back at the OP, and see his calling for an end to antlerless seasons to "fix" things, and then realize we haven't killed a mule deer doe in region 4 since 1996, we begin to realize that the whole point (if there even is one) of this thread is useless.

Hunting regulations aren't the problem. Chasing the wrong solutions to ungulate population issues is the problem.
    I don't think the state of our wildlife is funny at all. I assume you agree. I wasn't suggesting regulations are the issue. Stated a simple fact. Numbers are down and we need to do something about it. Didn't suggest that was regulatory change.

I won’t judge anything by contest entries as many big animals are kept private

When it comes to overall management results with game populations show it’s not working

There are those who push max opurtunity and those who want a conservative approach. Most likely the best answer is somewhere in the middle to keep a combination of opurtunity and conservation in mind.

There is a variety of issues game populations are facing that both parties can agree on. The issue lies with how to manage present populations. Here is where hunters and hunting organizations are not in agreement

Personal opinion our management does not have the funding to keep close enough inventory numbers to run the high opurtunity system BC presently uses for hunting. This has been BCs style of management for a long time and B.C. has a long history of declining game numbers. Personally see it well overdue for more conservative management to preserve game numbers well addressing big issues like funding, predators, and habitat

BC hunters need to ask them self what is more important harvest opportunity or game numbers?

Personally I would take less days hunting under strong game populations over long seasons under poor game numbers

BC doesn't have high opportunity, especially when compared with past opportunity or well-funded jurisdictions.

You could take fewer days hunting, but it won't make one iota of difference to game populations. If you want to take up crocheting, fill your boots, but despite the fact that you will have yourself a new pair of mittens, you won't be helping habitat loss or exploding predator populations.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

BC doesn't have high opportunity, especially when compared with past opportunity or well-funded jurisdictions.

You could take fewer days hunting, but it won't make one iota of difference to game populations. If you want to take up crocheting, fill your boots, but despite the fact that you will have yourself a new pair of mittens, you won't be helping habitat loss or exploding predator populations.
    Re read my post not ignoring big issues

Yes hunter opurtunity comes first before wildlife with you it’s very clear. Also continue to ignore that many are on the same page with big issues but because they don’t support max opurtunity you ignore the fact the big picture is clear all

You have made the choice on your path so continue on part I agree on part I never will so your not worth debating with

I wonder if everyone is speaking the same language here. I believe hunter opportunity means the length of season, or opportunity to hunt, not necessarily the potential opportunity to take an animal due to large abundance.

BC has some of the most liberal GOSs and unit management opportunities in the west.