Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matrix 380

Matrix 380

Could anyone give me some advice on how to dampen the noise on my new xbow. I recently grabbed the 380 matrix xtra on the last day of boxing week and am intristed in learning more about how people modify them for noise. Do you sacrifice speed or accuracy for the quieter shot? Ide love to hear some thoughts and opinions.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Matrix 380

personaly my view. the minor loses in speeds for vibrations or sound dampening are so minimal i dont worry much about it, thir still way faster than any bws from the past, and they took game just fine.

someone else felt the same with the 380, this is his info

Problem mostly solved.

As surmised above, it was the string vibrating.

I put on the new JBK string, and while that helped a little, the vibration noise was still there.

I left the JBK on overnight and this morning it had stretched just enough to be lightly touching the Dr S bumpers.

On the shot, the Dr S bumpers now stopped the string noise/vibration.

Shooting good too!! Pounding a 1/2" dot at 20 yds.

One thing I did notice is that the JBK strings middle serving is about 9 1/2" long meaning that it is the serving that contacts the bumpers, not the string strands themselves.

In comparison, the Matrix string middle serving is 3 3/4" long.

Don't know if that means anything, but it was just something I noticed.

I am also going to try a Force 10 Flemish string for both quiet and speed retention. Be my first flemish and I'm interested to see how it goes as many seem to favor them.

Well aside from the white knight hijacking with no info thankyou. Yes it does have REDS Im dying a little on the inside every day I dont shoot it. Im not sure if its going to be noisey parsay Im more just looking for some info on what guys have done to make it just that much quieter

was something i always thought about with my compound. i felt it was a tad noisy as well, watching a bunch of vid, and reading up on it. i just decided to aim slight low, this isnt like target competition stuff and need to be tight groups to win. the vitals arent all that tiny to put game down ethicly. so for me to aim slightly lower, if their may be a reaction to the sound.

Cool Re: Matrix 380

Quote Originally Posted by 604Stalker View Post
    Well aside from the white knight hijacking with no info thankyou. Yes it does have REDS Im dying a little on the inside every day I don't shoot it. I'm not sure if its going to be noisy parsay I'm more just looking for some info on what guys have done to make it just that much quieter
    Not touching the white knight thing except to note that 70+ yard shots are considered by most to be beyond safe / ethical shooting distances for game, and are generally never posted about...

First, noise reduction is much more for the shooter than the game. I've taken a couple dozen critters with my Excalibur's over the years, and have never had one "duck" the shot. These bows are Quick, and usually by the time the noise registers with them, it is far too late.

That said, some take measures to dampen the noise they make down. I've done several:

Go with a heavier Custom String with Cat Whiskers. This will slow your arrow by a few feet per second, but makes a very noticeable difference in sound. There are several Custom String Makers on the Excalibur Forum, the best (and the one I use exclusively) goes by the handle "Boo". Google Boo Custom Strings and you'll find his website. Best in the Business as far as I am concerned, but due to that there is generally a bit of a wait for his services...

Shoot heavier arrows. I run Custom Zombie Killers made by Big John, another Excalibur Forum member, and another pretty much considered the Best. My arrows weigh exactly 400 grains dressed (packing the broadhead). That is heavy enough to dampen down more noise, and keep the vibrations to a minimum. I also run Luminoks (like arrow tracers) in every arrow I shoot. It is Wicked watching them fly, and makes arrow recovery a lot easier. Shoot me a pm if you're interested in John's contact information...

Wrap the arrow retention spring in shrink wrap. I don't use that, rather a special 3M tape on the full underside of the spring, but that stuff is very pricey, and the rubber shrink wrap works just a good. Cuts down on both slap and vibration when shot.

Wrap the stirrup. I use CamoForm due to the fact it is non-sticky and can be quickly removed or replaced. The stock stirrup is a bit like a "tuning fork" and the wrap (some use hockey tape, camo tape, rubber etc) dampens that right off.

I have not gone this far, but some fill the hollow stocks with low pressure spray foam. Apparently that is pretty much the final step to what can be done to quieten them down.

As previously noted, this is all pretty much for the benefit of the shooter. The critters don't seem to mind much at all...

I also run a Matrix 380, have for several years, and honestly believe it is among the very best out there. Feel free to ask if you have any further questions, and I'll do my best to answer...

There is an excellent resource for Excalibur Owners in the form of their own Forum. Lots of great folks, mostly willing to share good advice when asked. And a lot less "drama" than many other sites: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/index.php

Cheers & Welcome to your new Obsession!
    Nog
    Last edited by IronNoggin; 01-19-2017 at 04:40 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

AWSOME! Thanks nog! yeah some lady hit ny truck 5 minutes before that responce. Dont get me wrong I don't plan on taking shots anywhere neer that distance. I do however see ALOT of deer bouncing around before rifle season so the plan is to get some meat in the freezer eairly and then focus on some bigger game. I just really don't play the whole my stick and string is better game. Happiness is a large drain hole, warm rifle and cold beer. That being said Im super excited to practice and have more close encounters as my mulie hunt this year left me wishing that adrenaline rush never ended.

Dont know whats going on but lets keep it civil

Cool Re: Matrix 380

Quote Originally Posted by 604Stalker View Post
    ... That being said Im super excited to practice and have more close encounters as my mulie hunt this year left me wishing that adrenaline rush never ended.
    LOL! That feeling up close & personal never goes away! In fact the main reason many I know (including myself) stick with it.
    Absolutely NOTHING like it!!

Quote Originally Posted by donny.brooke View Post
    I practice plenty and can hold my own shooting my compound. I shoot with a former Canadian national champ. Your out to lunch thinking you can shoot 70 yards ethically on game. The key word here is ethically. Heck you mentioned 100 yards and ethically previously??
    Methinks your initial point was taken DB.
    No reason to further hijack an otherwise good thread now is there??
    Enough I'd say...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I'm with Nog, i too have the 380, had it for 4 years and love it. I have taken 3 deer and 2 moose, moose shot at 55 and 60 yards, and both moose didn't make it 20 yards after the shot. As for the noise i have yet to have an animal react to it. By the way mine is totally stock out of the box, good luck and have fun